Fadal 6040 VMC

More
14 Feb 2014 10:56 #43840 by 5thaxis
Fadal 6040 VMC was created by 5thaxis
Hello all,
I have just been presented with a chance to purchase a Fadal 6040 with a Numatix retrofit. It is wired for a 4th and 5th axis. I am very familiar with this machine as I used to run it at a previous job. The current owner tells me the hard drive is fried and there are no backups. I am currently waiting on a quote from Numatix for the cost of reloading the software and parameters. Now I do know the machine has new drives on X and Y. The machine was running on scales, but there are encoders on the servos as well. you could switch between them freely if a scale broke or whatever. oh yeah, if I make the purchase, I will get a rebuilt Tsudakoma Rotary axis with it.
Now my question. Is it possible to use the current servos, spindle drive and axis amps with LinuxCNC? my only reason for asking is that I have seen some threads about motor size,selection, etc. I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Im kind of a noob here.
Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2014 12:36 #43843 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Fadal 6040 VMC
If the drives are good and can work with step and direction,
PWM, analog +-10V, or Ethercat, they can be reused with LinuxCNC

More
14 Feb 2014 20:58 #43857 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Fadal 6040 VMC

If the drives are good and can work with step and direction,
PWM, analog +-10V, or Ethercat, they can be reused with LinuxCNC

...And if it doesn't work with any of those, it might still be possible with some coding and/or hardware.

More
15 Feb 2014 10:41 #43872 by 5thaxis
Replied by 5thaxis on topic Fadal 6040 VMC
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have half a mind to try it. The retrofit already has a PC on board as well as interfaces for the drives, scales,etc. I guess i should look at mapping it all out. Its just a bigger machine than I need but the price is right, even better that it includes a rotary.
Thanks again!

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds