Getting started on a Hurco conversion, servo q?s

More
29 Apr 2014 02:15 #46441 by awetmore
We're getting start on converting a Hurco BMC30M to LinuxCNC from Ultimax 3. We're trying to do a plug and play installation to keep the existing controls operational until the conversion is complete. The machine has Yakasawa AC servo drives (CACR-SR10BE12G-E) and motors and we have pretty good documentation for the existing wiring harness. We'll be making a new hardness that interfaces with a Mesa 7i77.

This is my first experience with servos, the other two LinuxCNC conversions that I've done have involved stepper motors (one was a small Taig that I learned on, the other was a Bridgeport Boss 5 that used large but not very fast steppers).

Is there a good resource for getting started with servos? I haven't had much luck finding one. I know that the loop can be closed in different ways (either at the servodrive or at LinuxCNC) and I'm trying to wrap my head around what is the best configuration and how the full loop works. That will help me figure out how to best interface the drives.

thanks,
alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 03:01 #46442 by emcPT
Hello,
Since you will use a 7i77 then you already chosen your loop control, that will be in Linuxcnc. With the 7i77 you will output analog signals to your drive asking for a speed. The drive will try to achieve that speed, period. It will not know where the axis are, only linuxcnc, that will keep updating the desired speed based on the current position.

I am using this combination in several machines with good success. It depends mostly about the drive tuning. Since you will use the existing drives, then I see no reason to the combination to fail.

I hope that I was clear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds