School me on linux cnc based 3d printers.

More
25 Sep 2014 09:01 #51552 by Alloy Craft
I was thinking about building a multipurpose XYZ table capable of both 3d printing as well as laser cutting ( 100 watt). The laser side seems simple enough, However I am not quite sure what components of Linux cnc are capable of doing the 3d printing part. I know I will need some way to drive the extruder and extruder heater, but I'm not sure if I need feedback from these components in linux? My axis drives will be analog imput servos, not sure about the extruder though? Would a small servo do, or is a stepper better suited for this job? Also since I am using analog servos I'm not sure what driver boards would work well, mesa, reprap, beagle bone?

Components that I have:

24x24 in XY axis table with limits and homes prewired.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

3 sets of Analog input yaskawa servo motors + drives

File Attachment:

Components that I think I need

ebay extruder head

control cards, mesa, beagle bone, reprap, ect?

ebay laser tube

laser power supply

laser liquid heat exchanger

laser colminator

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2014 14:44 #51556 by ArcEye
Hi

I would suggest that you ask on MachineKit forum
groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/machinekit

3D printing is pretty much all that anyone on there does and there is a lot of expertise with that and laser.

On a rig this size, especially If you are using servos, I can see no point in increasing your complexity 90%, by trying to use a low power ARM board to drive it.

Just use a mesa combo on a normal PC, it is not as if you are going to be trying to save space.

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds