emcoturn 140

More
30 Sep 2014 02:44 #51670 by spesmek
emcoturn 140 was created by spesmek
Hello i have a emcoturn 140 and are in the process of changing to linuxcnc controll. I vant to use the stepper motors and drives, but i dont know anything about step timing for theese drives. Does anyone have a sugestion on how i should configure linuxcnc and step-timing

Best regards Bjorn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2014 15:10 #51679 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic emcoturn 140
Hi

See this thread for starters
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...upgrade?limitstart=0

The 5 phase steppers are discussed and Jon has suggestions for Vextra drivers that can be used to power them.

regards

More
30 Sep 2014 23:19 #51692 by spesmek
Replied by spesmek on topic emcoturn 140
Yes thats an option, but it seems like the emco drives take step and dir signals, so i consider to keep them. Is it possible to do some kind of test to figure out how long a step has to be high, and how long before next step the dir has to be set for the motor to change direction. There is not much info about the emco 5ph stepperdrives to find. But i have some connection diagram that show where the step, dir and enable goes.

More
30 Sep 2014 23:48 #51695 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic emcoturn 140
There is very little disadvantage to making the setup and hold times too long.
Making the step time and step space time too long only limit your maximum step rate.

So knowing the drives specs is really not all that important for initial testing

Starting with a very conservative 50usec/50usec for setup and hold times and 20usec/20usec for steptime/stepspace
will work with most drives and you can reduce the steptime/stepspace if they are the limiting factor in getting to
your maximum possible rapid rate

More
01 Oct 2014 02:36 #51698 by spesmek
Replied by spesmek on topic emcoturn 140
Ok, i will go on testing then. It is my first lathe so it will be fun too se how linuxcnc works for this. I have a mill and a plasmatable runningn linuxcnc that we use in my shop, and have been using for years. I got my first comercial mill with fagor controll a year ago. It's a nice machine but i am actualy finding things that seems to be a bit complicated to do with the fagor. That i know would have been easy with linuxcnc. I love the software, it is realy impressive.

Best regards Bjorn.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds