DIY Plasma table

More
04 Jun 2015 07:25 #59412 by s_anse_y
DIY Plasma table was created by s_anse_y
Hello, I'm currently doing research on how to build 4'x8' (or a bit bigger) plasma cnc table cutter. Any suggestions on parts, motors, process in general, what to avoid? How to make it durable and relatively cheap?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2015 08:36 #59415 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic DIY Plasma table
This is a huge topic. And you might as well ask which is the best car to buy, without saying how much money you have to spend (or whether you hate the colour green)

If I was building one I think I would budget $3000 and use the new closed-loop steppers, a copy of the Bell-Everman servobelt idea for feed and supported linear rails for tracks.
If I found used parts on eBay and came in under budget I would be happy. If I found a nice set of full-on servos there I would be happier still.

I would only build one, for me. If you ever anticipate making more than one, and even more so if you expect to sell it and support it, everything changes.

More
04 Jun 2015 17:30 #59420 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic DIY Plasma table
You might want to take a look here...
gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma-gallery.xhtml
John has a lot of experience with plasma cutting.

To get high feed speeds I used rack and pinion drive and steppers. John uses belt drive.
Torch height control is a great addition and uses Mesa hardware.

Rick G

More
04 Jun 2015 17:44 - 04 Jun 2015 17:47 #59422 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic DIY Plasma table

Hello, I'm currently doing research on how to build 4'x8' (or a bit bigger) plasma cnc table cutter. Any suggestions on parts, motors, process in general, what to avoid? How to make it durable and relatively cheap?

Durable and cheap is unobtainiom so it is very rare to find. Without knowing the end use for the plasma table and budget it is impossible to suggest anything.

JT
Last edit: 04 Jun 2015 17:47 by BigJohnT.

More
04 Jun 2015 20:15 #59432 by mozmck
Replied by mozmck on topic DIY Plasma table
You might look at www.precisionplasmallc.com/ for some ideas. We generally use stepper motors, and can run a 4x8 table at 1000 IPM or more rapids and fairly high acceleration. Acceleration is critical to be able to keep up good speed around curves and corners for good cut quality.
Another place to look for information is the Plasma section on CNCzone: www.cnczone.com/forums/general-cnc-plasm...el-cutting-machines/

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds