Motor Shaft Coupler Sources

More
24 May 2010 22:34 #2987 by cprhodin
I'm looking for a motor shaft coupler to connect a 12 mm shaft to a 5/8" shaft. It needs to be able to handle 1200 oz in of torgue. This is a stepper application so I'd like a little bit of damping without any slop. Lovejoy has exactly what I'm looking for in their GS line but the quotes I'm getting are in the $300.00 range per coupler. Can anyone suggest an alternate supplier?

Chris Rhodin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 16:48 #3004 by tenaja
McMaster-Carr has what you need for about $10 to $20--go to page 1163:
www.mcmaster.com/#motor-couplings/=78t271

You order each shaft hub individually, then a spider to connect them. Size C or D will work for you, depending on the size you want. Note that they spec them in in-lbs and not in-oz, so look for one greater than 75 with your rpm range.

Note that McM-C is typically about 10 to 20% higher than most places. They are just convenient because they have everything--I found what you needed there in about 30 seconds. Time is money.

More
25 May 2010 20:59 #3007 by BigJohnT
Those are just regular lovejoy couplings and are not suited for CNC applications due to the backlash they will have.

John

More
26 May 2010 02:36 #3009 by tenaja
Yeah, I know...I wasn't thinking.

I think his best bet is a few pages later the one-piece 5/8" x 5/8" (at only $30) with a nice snug adaptor sleeve.

More
25 Jul 2010 14:33 #3485 by TarHeelTom
tenaja wrote:

Note that McM-C is typically about 10 to 20% higher than most places. They are just convenient because they have everything--I found what you needed there in about 30 seconds. Time is money.

Note that McM-C is not as expensive as they might seem. If I remember correctly, they have a flat rate for shipping, $4.50 per order. So many other places charge around $15 or so minimum shipping.

And I seem to get faster service out of McM-C than anywhere else. Was quite shocked after sending them an email question at perhaps 3 AM to get an answer back in 15 minutes.

And I don't order often enough to notice, but a couple of guys tell me that it's nearly impossible to catch McM-C out of stock on an item.

More
26 Aug 2010 11:59 #3883 by bengineer
www.misumiusa.com - they've got a ton of CONFIGURABLE components, no minimum order, and prices aren't too bad.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds