Retrofitting a Hurco SM1

More
01 Feb 2016 21:22 #69397 by B.Reilly01
I recently dragged home a Hurco SM1 with a BX controller. The controller is missing a master program and I don't think I want to spend 600 dollars on a tape emulator just to have a 31 year old control that might work. I have the servo drives and servos powered and all 3 are acting appropriately. I would like to retrofit it with a Mesa 5i25+7i77 (I have analog servo drives) and LinuxCNC. Here's the holdback, I don't want to spend eternity fighting to make a half-assed controller, and I'd like conversational. Is there a reasonably easy path to the end goal? I'm fairly capable, but I am not familiar with Linux. I did install Ubuntu with LinuxCNC on an old PC, and it's running the software, nothing hooked up (obviously). I'm hoping there's an easy path towards a controller with a GUI like PathPilot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2016 21:32 #69398 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Retrofitting a Hurco SM1

I'm hoping there's an easy path towards a controller with a GUI like PathPilot.

You can probably have actual Pathpilot, though I don't think that that counts as "easy" yet.

Is the "LinuxCNC Features" interface good enough for you? There is a video demo here:
www.youtube.com/user/MrXepecine

More
02 Feb 2016 00:47 #69404 by B.Reilly01
Replied by B.Reilly01 on topic Retrofitting a Hurco SM1
Looks like LinuxFeatures would be basically what I'm looking for, maybe a bit less polished. Mesa seems like the go-to board provider, on a 0-10 how hard is it to convert to LinuxCNC? I'm a bit ignorant to Linux, haven't run it in years. I have programmed in VBA, VB, C, C# and C++ (mostly before .net) and I program PLCs from time to time. Is there a go-to guide for Mesa 5i25+7i77?

More
02 Feb 2016 09:47 #69427 by andypugh

on a 0-10 how hard is it to convert to LinuxCNC?

It's hard to say. We see people here who struggle at every turn, and others who say "hi" then come back a few weeks later saying "it's all working great now" and from this side of the keyboard they all look the same.

I'm a bit ignorant to Linux, haven't run it in years. I have programmed in VBA, VB, C, C# and C++ (mostly before .net) and I program PLCs from time to time. Is there a go-to guide for Mesa 5i25+7i77?

You shouldn't need to be a Linux expert if you are happy to just run with a standard live-CD installation.
One guide to setting up a machine can be found here:
www.wiki.eusurplus.com/index.php?title=Category:Mesa_Interface

Yours sounds like a fairly straightforward retrofit, and there have been several Hurco machines converted in the past.

More
02 Feb 2016 17:36 #69464 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Retrofitting a Hurco SM1
I went with PICO PPMC on my retrofit, Hurco BMC30.

I have had my share of challenges with the retrofit as Andy and Jon know well....

But nothing huge, and the support here is awesome. The Pico PPMC is designed for the analog signal machines. The DAC card has four outputs to run to the servos and spindle for the speed and direction. The IO cards are real easy to get setup and going.

I had my challenges with the code writing and trying to get the inputs and outputs to match up with the Linux parameters, thanks to all the help from here I should be doing my servo tuning this weekend if USPS ever gets the last couple parts to me that I need.

More
04 Feb 2016 02:26 #69558 by B.Reilly01
Replied by B.Reilly01 on topic Retrofitting a Hurco SM1
OKAY! So I'm planning on going forward with this! I can find/have servo wiring, but I'm looking for what else I'm going to need. Here's my plan:

MESA 5i25 and 7i77

ins:
Estop
axis select (3) + jog (wheel?)
Enable
Limit Switches (4, 1x, 1y, 2Z)
3 axis encoders
3x Tach(?)

OUTS:
Coolant Relay
Spindle On
3 axis analog servo signals

What else do I need to get rolling? My control currently has 10 or so relays, and I can't find a schematic! I'm sure I'll add buttons to the control in the future...

More
04 Feb 2016 09:07 #69568 by andypugh

3x Tach(?)

The tachs probably only need to go to the drives. You close the velocity loop there.

You probably want to use one of the analog outputs for a spindle speed control too, and there is something to be said for having a spindle encoder (allows rigid-tapping).

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds