Retrofit a Storebro Combi Mill CNC.

More
18 Mar 2016 20:08 #71880 by NeoTech
This is an old Swedish made machine, kind of a compact with a ISO40 spindle and some.. weird things.. =)

I include the encode cables going to the current control system. And something that is called "Setpoint output measuring circuit".

But basicly i think i could make an adapter cable that fits to the current cables and connect them to my Mesa 7i77 card.

On top of that i have a Spindle control - that i can't really find the chart for atm. But it takes an analog +/-10 V as well. But it has an additional "quirk". On top of the machine you have a mechanical speed selector, on the side you have a mechanical "high and low" selector for the speed. Basicly when you punch in S1000 today, the machine now the speed it needs to select, and if the high low needs to be changed. And when you changed it you confirm it with cycle start, and then hit cycle start again.

Can this behavior be replicated into to a LinuxCNC configuration, using ladders maybe? I'm going to in the next step swapping out the DC Drives and motors for my Argon drivers and AC motors, but that will be a secondary step in the retrofit. Atm i would be happy to get this machine going under LinuxCNC instead of "Siemens Sinumerik 820M GA3" - that is kinda horrible to work with.

// Andreas
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 11:01 #72307 by andypugh

I include the encode cables going to the current control system. And something that is called "Setpoint output measuring circuit".

Could this possibly be a tachometer channel?
It might just be a montoring feedback for the original controller: "I am asking for 5V of servo speed, but is there actually 5V at the servo drive terminal?)

On top of the machine you have a mechanical speed selector, on the side you have a mechanical "high and low" selector for the speed. Basicly when you punch in S1000 today, the machine now the speed it needs to select, and if the high low needs to be changed. And when you changed it you confirm it with cycle start, and then hit cycle start again.

Can this behavior be replicated into to a LinuxCNC configuration

Yes. I don't know how, off hand, but I am sure it can. :-)

Probably a re-map that uses M0
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m0-m1
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/remap/remap.h..._s_set_spindle_speed

More
29 Mar 2016 11:08 #72308 by andypugh

It might just be a montoring feedback for the original controller: "I am asking for 5V of servo speed, but is there actually 5V at the servo drive terminal?)

On top of the machine you have a mechanical speed selector, on the side you have a mechanical "high and low" selector for the speed. Basicly when you punch in S1000 today, the machine now the speed it needs to select, and if the high low needs to be changed. And when you changed it you confirm it with cycle start, and then hit cycle start again.

More
29 Mar 2016 11:08 #72309 by andypugh

More
29 Mar 2016 11:08 #72310 by andypugh

More
29 Mar 2016 12:46 #72320 by NeoTech
That M0 remap seems to be my best bet yes.. damn its hard to find stuff like that in the manual. =)
going in deep.

Ive figured out anyway that the encoder and setpoint connectors dont have the endstops or spindle control within them so they need to be broken out seperatly.. This retrofit will be planned beforehand.. i need the machine running.. but if i'm gonna get a 4th axis running i will need LinuxCNC. So it's only a question about time before when i must swap. =)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds