Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit

More
29 Apr 2016 12:08 #74053 by LutzTD
Replied by LutzTD on topic Emcoturn 120 lathe retrofit
looks like this box uses DOM "disk on module" memory. I found a 8GB drive on ebay for $27. I offered them $22. Im getting less exited about the FX170......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2016 12:19 - 29 Apr 2016 12:19 #74054 by andypugh

looks like this box uses DOM "disk on module" memory. I found a 8GB drive on ebay for $27.

I use those, I like them for CNC boxes.

You need to be slightly careful when handling the motherboard with the DOM fitted, or you snap off the SATA connector and have to do this to rescue the data and config :-)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2016 12:19 by andypugh.

More
29 Apr 2016 14:16 #74057 by LutzTD
Im feeling like Im reinventing the wheel. what is the best compromise for cost size and fanless cooling? Am I on the right track with this box?

More
29 Apr 2016 14:19 #74058 by andypugh
If the box you have has decent latency when running linuxCNC then it will be fine.

You really should try that test.

More
29 Apr 2016 15:20 #74059 by LutzTD
I thought I would try the install but it ran out of space so Ill try again tonight running from the thumbdrive

More
29 Apr 2016 22:00 #74073 by LutzTD
ran it today when I got home from USB.

servo 1ms 26629
base 25us 27045

More
30 Apr 2016 01:19 #74078 by andypugh
Good numbers, but that was probably RTAI whereas for an ethernet card you need uspace (still new, forgot to mention that)

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel

More
30 Apr 2016 17:31 #74088 by LutzTD
this was running on a USB. I went ahead and got the 8GB DOM since they agreed to the $22 price. SHould see it late next week and Ill load it to the DOM and run it.

More
06 May 2016 02:59 #74286 by LutzTD
question about linuxcnc. With Mach3, when I wish to tweak a hole or profile size I have to go back to my CAM package and change the tool diameter or roughing clearance and regenerate the cut. Does linuxcnc work in a similar fashion or is there a way to offset a path by a couple thousandth as needed? I assume no which is an issue for me as I run my cam and mach on the same computer. Is there a good cam package that can run on the linux box along with the linuxcnc?

More
06 May 2016 08:38 #74291 by andypugh

question about linuxcnc. With Mach3, when I wish to tweak a hole or profile size I have to go back to my CAM package and change the tool diameter or roughing clearance and regenerate the cut. Does linuxcnc work in a similar fashion

I think that both Mach and LinuxCNC can do tool compensation in the controller or in the CAM system. If you do the compensation in the controller then you can tweak the tool diameter to tweak hole sizes.

If, however, the compensation is in the CAM system then the G-code is a tool-centre path and the controller doesn't actually "know" which side of the tool path the material is on, so can't compensate.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds