Gantrykins/Trivikins

More
01 Feb 2019 13:48 #125466 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
You are still using version 2.7.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2019 18:00 #125486 by norbertfarquharsh
Yes, I know. I had the information from another forum member about going to the buildbot and did that and followed the procedures as I understood them from the site he directed me to and have had some updates from there and mentioned in the previous response on here that I knew I was not on 2.8.
I have done other searches for 2.8 installation/update and the closest I have gotten to any firm information is the following response in a forum entry which does not work for me as I obviously do not know how to use the information:

"Get the wheezy iso, install, open synaptics, disable the 2.7 version, enable master, update, install 2.8."

I assume I must add the "master.update.install 2.8" as part of an address and suppose there is other information that precedes like http://deb .... and have tried different things but have not hit upon the correct things. So all I can do is to keep searching and trying and may hopefully get the right answer at some point.
I would be happy to have any suggestions.

More
09 Feb 2019 01:26 #126028 by norbertfarquharsh
Today I started up Linuxcnc and there were updates and one of them was for 2.8 so it is now installed.

More
12 Jun 2019 17:21 - 12 Jun 2019 17:41 #136769 by mac44mag
Replied by mac44mag on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
I'm attempting to configure/run LCNC v2.8 from the buildbot (deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt). It is a fresh install on a clean, untouched Stretch OS. A big shout-out to John Thornton for his excellent step-by-step tutorial and advice during that part of the project. The Linux box boots nicely, and LCNC runs the axis demo just as it should.

The router is a WorkBee CNC from ooznest.co.uk: 3-axis/4 drives. The system:
Dell w/X5355 processor, 16 GB RAM, Mesa 5i25 feeding a Gecko 640. I have verified that PREEMPT_RT is loaded. A friend has the exact machine running well on Machinekit.

I have attempted to run his .ini and .hal files with a direct copy/paste into my ./linuxcnc/configs folder. LCNC dutifully picks up the machine and attempts to load but throws multiple errors some of which are related to trivkins vs. gantrykins. As i interpret the debug message, it fails to open "/usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/gantrykins.so". I have checked; the file exists; permissions are RO across the board.

This might well be an impossible approach to the problem, but it seems as if it might be viable. I have attempted to run PNCconf, but after about Page 3 I'm totally lost, hence the attempt to piggyback on my friends work.

I have attached my .ini and .hal files as they currently sit as well as the LinuxCNC Error files and reports.

Any suggestions, help or advice would be greatly appreciated. While not exactly a total newbie to Linux, I am certainly not what would be called a competent user.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Leonard (mac44mag)

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_info.txt
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.report.txt
File Size:5 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.print.txt
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.debug.txt
File Size:0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: WorBee_5i2...2500.ini
File Size:5 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: WorBee_5i25_G540.hal
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2019 17:41 by mac44mag. Reason: Add files

More
12 Jun 2019 17:32 #136772 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
hi if it is posible can you please upload your ini and Hal file
it seams there is a incostsistence of coordinates and joints or kinetics

More
12 Jun 2019 22:28 #136791 by mac44mag
Hi! If you're referring to the message by mac44mag (above), both the .hal and .ini files should be attached.

Thanks!

More
12 Jun 2019 23:20 #136792 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
I have not looked at your files but with V 2.8, gantrykins is obsolete and you just configure the joints as per the docs.

Assuming it is an XYYZ machine, you would ensure the homing sequence for joints 2 & 3 are = -1.

If you really get stuck, you can configure as a XYZA and manually edit to make a XYZY machine and do some cutting and pasting to remove the A axis and use that joint for the other Y1 axis.

Please go back to the linuxcnc main page and follow links to the version of Linuxcnc you are using as there are major differences in configuring a machine under 2.7 and 2.8 due to adoption of independent axes.

More
12 Jun 2019 23:25 #136793 by mac44mag
Thanks, Rod! Will do. I am running XYYZ.

Thanks, again.

Leonard

More
12 Jun 2019 23:39 #136795 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
Throw that config out and start again is my best advice. Its totally wrong. It would be better to use pncconf and at least get a config with the axes set up.

Try this example for a Mesa Gantry but note this predates the multispindle changes now in V 2.8 so the spindle code will need a small tweak

forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...ranch-gantry-example

More
14 Jun 2019 00:41 #136859 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you for your continued interest and help. You have given me good suggestions. I would like to find a better way because my CNC has been out of commission now for months and I have kept trying but to no avail. You mentioned pncconf before and I had looked at it again though I had tried it when I first set up my machine years ago. I concluded it was for use with machines equipped with Mesa cards. And I made the same conclusion when you mentioned it recently.
But I printed out pncconf.html so I could study it at length. I again tried the widget and ran into problems. I did not really follow the instruction in how it applied to my CNC machine and could not see where I was going but skipped over the Mesa references and persisted.. I got to page 4 of the printout with the paragraph heading 'Mesa' where it say you must choose at least one Mesa board as PNCconf will not configure the parallel ports to .... output step or PWM signals and this stopped me.
I am sorry but I do not understand how I can use PNCconf.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds