Biesse Rover 23 reborn as a bog standard 3 axis router.

More
07 Oct 2019 11:41 #147322 by SPH
I've posted a few times in various sections of the forum about my 2000 Biesse Rover 23. I think I've probably gotten it pulled down as far as it'll go now so it's time to get it built back up.
After weeks of reading about my Yaskawa servos and reading up about Mesa hardware I ordered and received my 5i25, 7i77 and 7i84 boards only to realise my drives couldn't be interfaced as they're Mecatrolink drives and don't have the required i/o. Excellent.
So, off to AliExpress we go. Three weeks and a few thousand buck later I received three new motors and drives (50kg's worth I might add, these drives are not small). Two 220v, 6nm 1500rpm drives for the X and Z and one honking big 380v 19nm 1500rpm drive for the Y axis.
I've plugged one of the smaller drives in (they run single or three phase) and its all good. Jogs fine. The drives and motors seem VERY similar to the Yaskawa Sigma drives that I already have. We can assume that a Sigma 7 equivalent should be available some time around 2040.

So now I can get down getting it all connected into LinuxCNC. I don't really know where to go from here.

Bevins, if you happen to see this I'd love to get any info you have from the router you set up. I can't quite tell from the pictures but it looks like you used the same or very similar hardware to what I'll be using. Those drive parameters you mentioned would be a big help along with any wiring diagrams you might have made.

I'll start collecting some pictures and get this build on the go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2019 13:23 #147332 by bevins
A couple hints with these large router types.

get boards connected and working inputs with Linuxcnc.
Check encoders before connecting the inputs to the drives. Then check with battery before engaging motors to drive mechanism.

Make sure you understand the way the ins and outs are working before connecting I/O.
There is a lot to do but not that bad if you take it step by step.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SPH

More
07 Oct 2019 21:18 - 07 Oct 2019 21:19 #147368 by SPH
Do you still have that list of drive parameters handy? You mentioned in your own thread that there were a bunch of drive parameters that needed to be changed.

By battery do you mean once they’re setup use a 1.5v battery or similar to test the analogue control?
Last edit: 07 Oct 2019 21:19 by SPH.

More
13 Oct 2019 10:48 #147811 by SPH
Righto chaps, I'm going to start wiring the servo drives to the 7i77. I've read the servo tuning guide on here and it was very informative although one step ahead of where I need to be right now. I'll also confirm that i can feed the drive a simple voltage source and get the drive to run before I go connecting it to the 7i77.

The manual for the servo's is actually pretty decent, so far at least.
Located here
7i77 Manual

I dont fully get the definition of the encoder phase output labels vs the 7i77 encoder input labels. Drive manual lists phase A,B and Z while the 7i77 appears to list A,B and X but I'm guessing here.

Here's where I THINK I should be going. I'm ready to be completely wrong so chime in please. Also two pins I'm not sure on full stop.

CN2 PA+ pin 20 - TB3 1 QA0
CN2 PA- pin19 - TB3 2 /QA0
CN2 PB+ pin18 - TB3 4 QB0
CN2 PB- pin17 - TB3 5 /QB0
CN2 PZ+ pin15 - TB3 7 IDX0
CN2 PZ- pin16 - TB3 8 /IDX0
CN2 Vref pin 25 - TB5 4 AOUT0
CN2 Agnd pin 13 - TB5 3 GND
CN2 OZ pin 22 - ?
CN2 GND pin 1 - ?

More
13 Oct 2019 12:31 #147814 by bevins
I'll dig up the parameters file. Does your rover have the rs485 relay boards?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SPH

More
13 Oct 2019 21:35 #147828 by SPH
Thanks Bevins.
It did have the relay boards but not anymore. Better to think of this machine as a fresh build than a Rover at this point. Its basically been reduced to the frame.
I'll probably re-introduce a tiny bit of the pneumatic system down the track, some locating pins for full sheets and that kind of thing. For now I'm just concerned with axis drive and spindle. That'll give me a machine I can start using and allow me to offload my current home built machine.

I'll keep all the other bits, the boring head etc, but I dont have any plans for them at the moment.

More
14 Oct 2019 01:33 #147829 by bevins

Thanks Bevins.
It did have the relay boards but not anymore. Better to think of this machine as a fresh build than a Rover at this point. Its basically been reduced to the frame.
I'll probably re-introduce a tiny bit of the pneumatic system down the track, some locating pins for full sheets and that kind of thing. For now I'm just concerned with axis drive and spindle. That'll give me a machine I can start using and allow me to offload my current home built machine.

I'll keep all the other bits, the boring head etc, but I dont have any plans for them at the moment.

the spindle shoulod not be a problem. Biesse usually used the green control technologies VFD and they are easy toi interface witht the +10v.

More
14 Oct 2019 09:35 #147862 by SPH
It's a yaskawa varispeed but has any amount of control options so should be fine.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds