Encoders

More
18 Jun 2020 02:16 #171962 by natholego11
Replied by natholego11 on topic Encoders
haha, ok, which is done how? I figured downloading the latest version would be, well the latest version...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2020 03:49 #171967 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Encoders
LinuxCNC ISOs are usually not the latest versions since they are created only occasionally.
So the steps are to first download and install the Stretch ISO and then upgrade the installed LinuxCNC version.

More
18 Jun 2020 11:09 #172002 by natholego11
ok, i was able to upgrade to 2.8. I did a quick check and sure enough the 7i96 is in the pncconfig. but I am not seeing the 7i85 as a possible daughter card. whats the process for adding that?

More
18 Jun 2020 14:17 #172012 by PCW
You would have to edit the hal and ini files to include encoder feedback (if that is the aim)
Basically you setup the encoders with the proper scale so the encoder position is correct
and then replace the stepgen feedbacks pin in the hal file with the appropriate encoder position pins .

More
18 Jun 2020 14:44 - 18 Jun 2020 14:46 #172014 by natholego11
so there isnt a way for PNCCONFIG to do this? I am not very good in editing the HAL file without alot of examples to understand the syntax.

but yes, the purpose of the 7i85 was for encoder feedback.

what all am I going to need pul/in(mm)? anything else?
Last edit: 18 Jun 2020 14:46 by natholego11.

More
18 Jun 2020 15:52 #172016 by PCW
You can get 1 axis setup if you use the 7i96 encoder input for feedback
pncconf does most of this correctly but its not perfect (it adds the encoder feedback connection and does the encoder setup/scaling but its leaves the stepgen feedback connected which will make the created configuration fail to load)

You could use this axis as a template for the needed changes in the other axis

_BUT_ stepgen systems with feedback are complex to setup and tune so I would
get a pure step/direction system working properly first before adding this feature.

More
18 Jun 2020 17:27 #172021 by natholego11
ok, ill get the machine moving under its own power. and once I get that complete ill check back on here about how to configure the 7i85. Thanks for your help.

More
19 Jun 2020 17:45 #172095 by natholego11
ok, so I got the machine moving. but I am having diffeculty with the PNCCONFIG and the spindle. I am using a DYN4 system and have it pinned as follows:
19 GND DYN4 - PIN 1 OR 9 OR 12
20 STEP 3 - N/A
21 STEP 3 + DYN4 - PIN 11 (PUL +)
22 DIR 3 - N/A
23 DIR 3 + DYN4 - PIN 22(DIR +)
24 5V DYN4 - PIN 12(ENA)

but when I get to the page where it lets me configure the spindle. its asking for an encoder input... how do I get around this, I am not at the point yet where I can hook my encoder up to the system.

More
20 Jun 2020 08:42 #172146 by machinedude
Replied by machinedude on topic Encoders
On the DYN4 drives you have a 9 pin connector with the encoder signals. each pin is marked in the picture i'm going to post. if you get something like the cables i am showing you you will notice that the wires are color coded in the PDF. this makes tracing them back to the proper pins a lot easier. but basically what you need to to is plug on end into the drive and cut the other end off and solder connections to the individual wires for your encoder connections on the board. this is probably easier.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

here is a link for the cables too.

www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/d-s...11-00200&vendor=1175
Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2020 09:37 #172147 by machinedude
Replied by machinedude on topic Encoders
one other thing i noticed is your ENA pin marked as pin 12 on the DYN4 I think that's pin 15 on the DYN4. pin 12 is a GND. and i am not sure about how you do spindle control with step and direction signals. everything i have done has been with +/- 10 V for spindle control. you could very well be able to do it with step and direction i just know nothing about it done that way so i can't be of much help there. i will take a look for the 7i96 spindle connections to see if i can see how it's done.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds