New motors and new drivers, but....don't know how to do

More
15 May 2020 14:59 #167850 by Jocman
Hi all.
After long time of stopping (last but not least because of the damn Covid19), I'm back to my home made CNC.
Until last autumn I kept watching problems with all my cnc works. If I had to do a...big work, I didn't appreciate big problems, but with small works (i.e. PCB milling) unfortunately I realized big problems, like step loss, dimensional issues, ad so on.
After some discussion on several blogs, I decided to follow some advice and get new motors and drivers. More exactly, i got these motor: APM-SB02ADK-9 and these drivers: Elmo Harmonica HAR-8/60C-3.
Until now, I'm using "standard" drivers and motors.
Eventually, next week I'll get the new motor brackets ('cause the old ones don't fit the new motors), so it will be time to install and connect the new hardware.
In the meanwhile, I'm starting to check for directions about the installation and set up of the hardware, but honestly it's now a couple of days I'm reading tech manuals and so about my new drivers without understand anything.....
So, I'm asking some help, is some of you knows this kind of hardware and can help me to easily install and setup them (you know, like a child...).

Thanks in advance to anyone.

Andrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2020 06:34 #167923 by bbsr_5a
Hi
Nice but very Expensive stuff for only PCB
You shout have twee ken your settings to get rid of steplos in first place

WHAT Controller you got on the Machien
to use Full Advantage on the NEW Items you shoudt go for 7i77 a full servo controller
and in Newer Times also on ETH so ad a 7i92 to this

BUT yoiu can also go for STEP/DIR on this system
then only a 7i96 is needed

For testing just connect the Step/Dir of your alredy running system

More
16 May 2020 09:34 #167935 by tommylight
I did a quick search for those drives last night, i could not find any info on control types they use! do you have any info on that?
Do they use normal step/dir or +-10V, or something else ?

More
17 May 2020 14:33 #168064 by Jocman
Yes,i know this hardware it's such high end one. No,i don't really need such high end stuff. But i had a problem,all the settings and solution i could try (as for my knowledges) i did,but no way.... Someone suggested me for this new stuff,i found a good occasion to get them (a bankrupticy) at good price,so.....
No,i don't have such controller to enjoy the full capabilities of the new stuff (i use a poor 10€ chinese bob).
In the next future i'm thinking to switch to a better controller (hopefully usb,'cause i've many delay problems with my parallel port - but i like linuxcnc and don't want to drop it....)
By the way,these last days i've been brainstorming about the drivers,and i think i've to use the analog input in order to wire them to my bob.
Of course,i won't use the full capabilities,but i hope at least to fix my problems (step loss and whatever else)
Or if you can address me some other better way,i appreciate.

About the documentation,the only things i found is the Elmo's web site doc page; then only brainstorming.....

More
18 May 2020 07:00 #168129 by rodw
Your drivers still accept step and direction so yes you can use with your BOB but assuming you hvae spindle for what you have spent to date, purchasing a Mesa 5i25/5i26 and a 7i76 or their ethernet 7i76e would really make your machine sing....

More
18 May 2020 11:32 #168140 by bbsr_5a
an image of the Motor controller woudt help us also to find things

the CNC retro or upgreat is not just changing the motors and controllers for a good going it takes time to tweek
even at the first job workes and on to that changing numbers is always a increase in knowHOW and workflow on a homebuild

More
18 May 2020 13:15 #168148 by Jocman
@Rodw
Well, sometimes I think about upgrade my electronics to get something better (such mesa), and I really hope to do it in the very next future.
I'd have to....prepare myself learning the new hardware and understand how it works. When I started with the chinese BOB it was not really hard to understand the philosophy, but it took some time to me.
Mesa is lightyears away from my BOB, an it will require me some care.

@bbsr_5a
well, attached is my ....electronics, if it could be useful
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
18 Jun 2020 06:12 #171982 by machinedude
i think those drives will do dual loop feedback all in the drive and can be set up in pretty much any configuration. i was going to attach the PDF but the file is to large so here is a link to the website.

www.elmomc.com/product/harmonica/

More
18 Jun 2020 07:10 #171983 by Jocman
Thanks. I downloaded all the manuals, hope to get some goal, as I don't know what values insert; I hope it will be such an.....autoconfig for dummies :-D.
I miss the "old style" drivers with microswitches...

More
02 Jul 2020 10:28 #173390 by Jocman
Well, going on wy my upgrade.
While I'm thinking about get a mesa card as RodW suggested (thinking about the ethernet version), I'm figuring out how to connect the Elmo Harmonica Drivers to the motor and the current BOB, so to start playing while getting the new card.
While it seems to me not difficult to wire the motors to the drivers (the manual says it doesn't matter to match the phase, as the driver will fix it internally - wow), I'm just wondering about the wiring of the analog input (J7).
The 3 pins connector wires: Ground, AnalogInput1+, AnalogInput1-
My puzzlement is: I know Step and Dir.....Ground is ground (ok), but where to connect Step and Dir? wich is +1 and wich -1?......

Andrea

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds