Manual tool change + touch off lenght

More
14 Jan 2021 22:09 - 14 Jan 2021 22:16 #195371 by BastianMC
Hi every one and greetings from Denmark, thanks for having me in this forum.
Im learning every day with my CNC mill and Linux CNC, so far it has been a blast but not without its hickups.

Currently im trying to get a tool probe to work with my machine. I found the guide linked below and tried it out as it should do exactly what i wanted.

Manual tool change + tool lenght

Im running Linux CNC 2.8 and the guide is from 2014 so this might already be an issue i cant tell?
When starting a gcode file the machine will go to Z0 but will not continue with the gcode T1 M6. I assume its becouse i remapped the M6 command since if i remove the M6 command from my gcode file manually the program runs just fine but without toolchanges ofcourse.

I tried to delete the changes in my .ini files and .hal files but the machine didnt go back to its original state, stil stops after going to Z0.
Im using Fuision 360 to make my gcode files of my own designs, i made several items on the machine before messing with the probe configuration and had no issues.

Please if some one with more Linux CNC experience than me could lend a helping hand or point me in the right direction i would be very great full. Thanks.

I have attached my current .ini and .hal files. Also my subroutine files attached.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jan 2021 22:16 by BastianMC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2021 23:08 #195377 by andypugh
The problem is here, at the bottom of the HAL file
net tool-number             <=  iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number
net tool-change-request     <=  iocontrol.0.tool-change
net tool-change-confirmed   =>  iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prepare-request    <=  iocontrol.0.tool-prepare
net tool-prepare-confirmed  =>  iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

Tnn causes iocontrol.0.tool-prepare to go high, and then the system waits for the tool changer to set iocontrol.0.tool-prepared high.

Then M6 causes iocontrol.0.tool-change to go high, and the system pauses again until iocontrol.0.tool-changed is high.

This handshake is the loop into which tool changer logic is inserted.

With no tool changer you short-circuit the loops.
net tool-number             <=  iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number
net tool-change-loop     iocontrol.0.tool-change   =>  iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prepare-loop     iocontrol.0.tool-prepare =>  iocontrol.0.tool-prepared
The following user(s) said Thank You: BastianMC

More
15 Jan 2021 16:10 #195449 by BastianMC
Thank you so much sir! that would have taken me a long time to discover on my own.

I changed my code accordingly and went to try it but ran in to another issue that i have seen before. I believe that for some reason the coordinate system in the tool--change.ngc file docent match my machines coordinate system its throwing errors as in attached picture i also attached a picture of the machines coordinates.

I have gotten past this error before by changing the values in the config section of the tool-change.ngc file to values that docent make since just to get past that hurdle. But now i actually need to input the values correctly according to my machine and its making these errors. My tool-change.ngc files is attached but copied in here is the values from the config section. i also attached the -ini and .hal files with the updated config.

(
CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
)
#<_UseInches> = 0 ( set to 1 to use inches here, or 0 to use millimeters; should match units on tool.tbl dimensions )
#<_TravelZ> = 100.0 ( machine Z coordinate for travelling, typically near max Z to avoid ever hitting the work )
#<_TravelFeed> = 1000.0 ( feedrate used for general Z moves when avoiding G0 )
#<_ProbeX> = -230.0 ( machine X coordinate of switch/touch-off plate )
#<_ProbeY> = 3000.0 ( machine Y coordinate of switch/touch-off plate )
#<_ProbeFastZ> = 5.0 ( machine Z coord to move to before starting probe, longest tool should not touch switch at this Z )
#<_ProbeMinZ> = -20.0 ( machine Z coord to stop probe, shortest tool must touch switch at this Z, must be > min Z )
#<_ProbeRetract> = 1.5 ( small distance to retract before approaching switch/touch-off plate second time )
#<_ProbeFastFeed> = 400.0 ( feed rate for moving to _ProbeFastZ )
#<_ProbeFeed1> = 80.0 ( feed rate for touching switch/touch-off plate first time )
#<_ProbeFeed2> = 10.0 ( feed rate for touching switch/touch-off plate second time )
#<_ToolChangeX> = 70.0 ( machine X coordinate to pause at for manual tool changing )
#<_ToolChangeY> = -170.0 ( machine Y coordinate to pause at for manual tool changing )
#<_MistOnDuringProbe> = 0 ( set to 1 for mist, or 2 for coolant, or 0 for nothing during probing, to clear switch of swarf )
(
)

Once again i would ask for your valuable assistance, thanks.
Attachments:

More
16 Jan 2021 00:32 #195500 by Rørbæk
Hej Bastian !
I am a dane too from Århus, so if you would like we could be in contact.
I am using Fusion 360 too and of curse Linux CNC
Henrik 29437076

More
16 Jan 2021 21:06 #195576 by andypugh
Many of the moves in the toolchange.ngc are in the machine-absolute coordinate system.

G53 G1 ......

Moves in machine coordinates. This is almost certainly what you want to happen with a toolchange.

More
16 Jan 2021 21:35 #195579 by BastianMC

Many of the moves in the toolchange.ngc are in the machine-absolute coordinate system.

G53 G1 ......

Moves in machine coordinates. This is almost certainly what you want to happen with a toolchange.

This makes sense, how do in translate my coordinates to the absolute values?

More
17 Jan 2021 00:02 #195600 by andypugh
You can switch the GUI to show absolute coordinates.

I am not entirely sure why you need to convert relative to absolute.
The idea would be to bolt the tool sensor to the machine bed so that it is always in the same position relative to the home switches.

More
17 Jan 2021 07:39 #195635 by BastianMC

You can switch the GUI to show absolute coordinates.

I am not entirely sure why you need to convert relative to absolute.
The idea would be to bolt the tool sensor to the machine bed so that it is always in the same position relative to the home switches.

That was also my plan, I wanna bolt the sensor down at the far back corner of my machine bed I permanently. I just need to know what coordinates I have to put in the tool-change file for that location. I wanna use the coordinates relative to the home switches on a daily basis as this is most logical. I will try and find out how to switch coordinates just for the tool probe location, once its set I cans switch back again I assume. Thanks.

More
17 Jan 2021 14:31 #195665 by BastianMC
And its working like a charm now!

Thanks for the support @andypugh helped me out so much.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds