Taking care of your machine

More
27 Jan 2021 13:37 - 27 Jan 2021 13:40 #196755 by Jocman
Hi all.
Eventually, after time and time (to not say years....) spent testing, and trying, and learning, boring all of you here, and so on, abut my homemade CNC, it seems I started to enjoy it!!!
Lot of way still to walk, but the first productions are coming, with my satisfaction: the machine appears enough reliable, with a good precision (if I measured in the right way, is about 0.01 mm, more than enough for my hobbies), good repeatability (the new motors and hybrid drivers work great!), and so on.

But now I wondering about the best way to take care of its mechanics.
Everytime, I use a vacuum to clean all the debris, but it's also time to take care about lead screws and rails.
I was thinking to use white petroleum to clean the screws and the rails (removing all the old grease), then replace it.
Some questions about:
1) the withe petroleum is a good choice?
2) to lubricate all, I have 3 possibilities: WD40 (a classic one), PTFE Grease and Nautical Li grease. Wich one could be the best choice? or alternatively, what to use?

Thanks

Andrea
Last edit: 27 Jan 2021 13:40 by Jocman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2021 13:47 #196757 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic Taking care of your machine
Andrea, a picture or two of the parts you want to lubricate would be good.

More
27 Jan 2021 13:53 #196759 by andypugh
By "white petroleum" I imagine you mean
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit
Or similar?
That works well for cleaning off oily deposits, certainly (I use it to clean chain spooge off of my motorcycles)
You probably don't need to clean that thoroughtly, though.
Typically on my machines I just wipe the slides with a paper wipe and then re-lubricate with a machine tool "way oil".

I would certainly suggest an oil, and a slightly thick one. Gear oil will probably work if machine tool slideway oil is not available.

I suggest searching locally for "Mobil Vactra" and then find something reasonably priced in the same section of whatever you find.

More
27 Jan 2021 14:04 #196760 by tommylight
I'm also in the clean and then use a rag with gear oil to leave a thin oil film on the rails and screws camp.
Doing that daily would bring the life expectancy of the rails to very close to infinity ! :) But we get lazy so infinity is far.....

More
27 Jan 2021 18:34 #196795 by Jocman
Replied by Jocman on topic Taking care of your machine
I attached an image of my machine while under construction.
Highlighted,the items i'm talking about (well,the visible ones,obviously there are some other leadscrews and rails).
About the "white petroleum" (this is what is written on the can) Is the same product you told (i use it for my motorbike too).
So, as i understand, you're suggesting me to use such "liquid" lubricant,instead of such a....sticky grease.
Ok,i'll hava a look to find the one you suggest me.

Thanks

Andrra
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

More
27 Jan 2021 21:17 #196817 by tommylight
Two strips of plastic or sheet metal on the sides will get rid of 80% of the dust on the rails.
I would not worry much about the upper rails.

More
27 Jan 2021 23:35 #196850 by andypugh
You could consider some covers:
www.beakbane.co.uk/en/products/concertina-covers/

It is possible to make your own, with patience:
is the first video I found.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Jan 2021 08:04 #196905 by Jocman
Replied by Jocman on topic Taking care of your machine
Yep, I've been thinking for such rail covers, I'd have to thinkering about.
The main thing puzzling me is the space available on Y front and rear. Y (the useful workspace) is about 700 mm; if on the rear side this gives me enough room (about 200 mm) to place such folded concertina-cover, on the front side it doesn't: when on Y0, the room between the front border and the base of X is about 20 mm. No way to...store the covers when the machine is close to Y0.

About the suggested lubricant (Mobil Vactra), I found it but we're talking about 20lt (5gal) and 180$.... For my hobbistic purposes it's really too much (quantity and money...)
But browsing the other lubricants, I found maybe something similar; I'm talking about lubricant for sewing machines, bike chains, generally speaking "moving parts".
Do you think it could be a good alternative?

Andrea

More
28 Jan 2021 08:20 #196906 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic Taking care of your machine
Way oil VG68

Do you have workshops close with machines, ask to buy a small amount.

Where are you located?

More
28 Jan 2021 09:44 #196912 by andypugh

About the suggested lubricant (Mobil Vactra), I found it but we're talking about 20lt

"Mobil Vactra" was just a language and market independent search term, so that you can find what that type of oil is called by the suppliers available to you.

Though if you look on eBay you will find people re-selling Vactra in 1L quantities.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds