Look for suggestions/advices Hybrid metal 3d printer w/ Tormach machine/linuxcnc

More
30 Jun 2021 15:47 #213349 by 93xshang
Hi folks! 

This is my very first post here. I'm just getting started with linuxcnc and am still going through the linuxcnc documentations. Before I dive deeper, I just wanted make sure I'm on the right path.

Basically I'm trying to build a hybrid milling machine + direct energy deposition 3d printer for our lab. The key components are:
  • Laser deposition head (comes with it's own controller, not sure what but it supports remote control via ethernet cable. I need to control its on/off and power strength. I'm guessing this is similar to a plasma gun?)
  • Powder feeder (use Siemens S7-1500 PLC and PROFINET. I also need to control its on/off and the feeding rate.)
  • CNC (Considering Tormach 1100mx)
First of all, is it possible to integrate everything to Tormach's control PC without any extra hardware (by hardware I mean things like NI DAQ, ADC etc)?
Do you think I can integrate everything by modifying .hal for PilotPath? Or do I need to overwrite PolitPath and configure a new Linuxcnc?

I don't have a strong background in control systems so it's very likely that I'm illustrating something silly. Any insights would be very welcomed and helpful!

Thank you,
Xiao

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2021 22:41 - 01 Jul 2021 22:41 #213460 by andypugh
I think that Pathpilot is probably a bit too locked-down to customise as you will need. But LinuxCNC should slot straight in.

I am not sure if anyone has used Profinet with LinuxCNC. I can only suggest searching this forum for mentions of it.
It would also help to know what protocol the deposition head is using.

But is sounds like a fun project.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2021 22:41 by andypugh.

More
05 Jul 2021 00:35 #213729 by 93xshang
Thanks for your reply! Yes I'll definitely do some search within the forum to see if anyone has experience. I was also told by the manufacturer they might be able to provide a alternate solution. I hope I can keep updating the post on how it is going.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds