Shizuoka AN-S servo drivers

More
15 Sep 2021 18:29 #220728 by FortheShiz
I am looking for advice on servo drives to use when retrofitting shizuoka AN-S milling machine. Most of the CNC controls were already removed when I bought my machine but I do have the original analog servo drives. From my understanding it would be worth updating to digital drives during the retrofit but I am having a hard time finding drives rated for enough amperage as my servos call for. I will post a picture of the tag from one of my servos but the biggest I believe has a peak of 55 Amps and is rated for 150 volts DC. I am also concerned about power supply for these motors. Any recommendations for what drives to use that will be able to take advantage of these powerful servos without busting the bank would be great! Of course I am then planning to use Mesa cards and Linuxcnc to control the machine.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: marke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2021 18:33 #220729 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Shizuoka AN-S servo drivers
Why exactly do you think you should change the existing drives?

More
15 Sep 2021 19:09 #220734 by FortheShiz
I do not know whether the original drives are good or bad but from what I have read I believe I would need to use a converter to interface the analog drives as well as the fact they are probably 40 ish years old and pretty non replaceable if there is a failure I am thinking it would be smart to replace them now with something more modern and that I have access to documentation and such. If there is an easy way to reuse the original drive that makes fiscal sense I might be willing to try it. Do you have suggestions there?

More
15 Sep 2021 22:05 #220744 by tommylight
If the drives are removed, i would not bother putting them in again just to find out one of them does not work.
Motor needs 13A normally, 55 is the upper limit it cane be pushed to for short periods of time, so any drive with continuous 13A or more is good, but might limit the acceleration, or it might not = old machine =slow.

More
16 Sep 2021 00:58 #220749 by FortheShiz
I agree planning to start fresh with new drives. Do you have any drives you recommend that can handle these servos? I will link the drives I have been eyeing up. They are rated 0-35 amp current limiting and 160v. This is the closest I have found to the 55 amp peak the servo tag lists that isn't too pricey. I would love to be able to take advantage of these powerful servos but if all I lose out on is some acceleration I may have to sacrifice that for cost.

Servo Drives:
shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=366

More
16 Sep 2021 09:35 #220778 by tommylight
While waiting for drives, check the state of the motors, 40 years surely left some marks.
If they are brushed, check brushes for motor and tacho. While doing this please do return the brushes back as they were, literally as they were regarding orientation and placement.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds