BobsCNC

More
02 Dec 2021 13:04 - 02 Dec 2021 21:49 #228184 by pneurd
BobsCNC was created by pneurd
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience running a BobsCNC router working with LinuxCNC?  Just starting out, I still have a lot to learn to make it all the way up to noob. Before posting,  I searched "BobsCNC" on this forum but got no results.  I'm a hobbyist looking for a good combination of a CNC router running Linux-based, free and open-source software, to make signs, and 3d objects out of wood, not metal.  

Thanks!
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 21:49 by pneurd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2021 13:30 #228186 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic BobsCNC
Do you mean using BobCAD with LinuxCNC?

More
02 Dec 2021 15:27 #228194 by pneurd
Replied by pneurd on topic BobsCNC
Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to a CNC product I've read review about. Here's the Amazon link:.

BobsCNC Evolution 3 CNC Router Kit with the Router Included (16" x 18" cutting area and 3.3" Z travel) www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7VBAQN/ref=cm_sw_r...MSXPCBMNS9YFS263S32B

The description says "Designed to use GRBL1.1 firmware on the Arduino Uno with repeatability of 0.002” to 0.004”."

Was wondering if anyone has tried using LinuxCAD instead of GRBL 1.1 on the Arduino Uno.

Thanks again.

More
02 Dec 2021 15:48 #228195 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic BobsCNC
That machine is using belts for the x and y.....
I would cast doubt on the cutting accuracy alone.
It may be able to get that when no cutting forces are put on the system but the second it digs into a cut those belts will have a bit of stretch
I think you have too many terms messed up.

To use Linuxcnc the forum you are on would require you to replace the Arduino based control system.

Why do you want to switch away from GRBL?

What is your goal with this project?

What are you trying to make/cut?

More
02 Dec 2021 15:52 #228196 by andypugh
OK, so do you mean LinuxCNC? LinuxCAD is also a thing, but appears to be an abandoned project.

But, anyway, you would have to remove the supplied controller board (running GRBL) and replace it with a LinuxCNC interface. At the very least this would require a PC with a parallel port and a generic parallel port breakout board.
This combination will probably work less well than the supplied GRBL controller.
On the plus side you would have a better interface with better feedback and a lot more flexibility in configuration.

If you were to invest in one of the other interfaces supported by LinuxCNC then there ought to be significant improvements in smoothness.

More
02 Dec 2021 21:45 #228225 by pneurd
Replied by pneurd on topic BobsCNC
Thanks again for your reply.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant LinuxCNC, not LinuxCAD.

I am considering whether or not to purchase a CNC for hobbyist use for making signs, 3d sculptures with a 2" vertical dimension, and overall messing around.

I am a recently converted fan of Linux, and would like to use as many Linux-based SW products as I can. I have been learning FreeCAD (I used to know SolidWorks a long time ago), and am interested in designing signs in FreeCAD, exporting the files so that they can be used by whatever SW package makes sense to use, but am pretty well set against paying for SW given my great success with all other Linux products, and the philosophy of free and open source software behind them.

In my preliminary searches for CNC routers, read several good reviews of the BobsCNC Evolution 4 (the link I sent you was the Evolution 3 that has 16" x 18" x 3.3" z travel). I like the capability of 24" x 24" x 3" travel and appreciate user reviews of the product, especially its rigidity and overall build quality.

So, because I'm such a noob, I wanted to start with a tool that looked like it would be a good place to start, and then figure out which SW to run on it. I have no basis for comparing controller boards running GRBL versus anything else. I asked the original question to see if anyone on the forum has used that CNC router with LinuxCNC or not. If someone had said yes, it's great, then that would have made me more likely to purchase that machine.

I hope that answered your questions. Thank you. I appreciate your time and help.

More
02 Dec 2021 21:52 #228226 by andypugh
It looks decent, considering that it contains everything, including the spindle.

GRBL is open source too, you might as well start with that, then switch to LinuxCNC if and when you find GRBL too limiting.

More
02 Dec 2021 22:13 #228229 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic BobsCNC
Also incase you have not looked check your local marketplace Facebook and Craig's list.

For making signs and carvings i think GRBL will handle that no problem.

Linuxcnc can also handle it but i see no reason if your goals are met by the included setup.
Would add cost for very little gain.
Another option is to look up a local maker space/ hacker space and ask for a tour and chat up the people who run the cnc crew.

Some will hold free or close to it training to help you learn about cnc machines and cad and cam.

It much easier to make decisions regarding your own machine once you have a general idea of how to work it and see the limitations.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds