Bridgeport/Romi EZPath S Retrofit Planning

More
07 Sep 2023 11:56 #280197 by TurboStreetCar
Im attempting to get my handwheels operational and running into a snag. 

Ive read multiple MPG guides and i think i have everything coded correctly but i get no movement on the joint/axis.

The operation im looking for, is when in manual/jog mode of Gmocappy, it will enable the handwheels. When in that mode, i can move the Z axis handwheel to move the Z axis, and same for the X. Then, when MDI or RUN mode is selected, the handwheels are disabled. 

Ive got the handwheels wired up to encoder inputs on the 7i97, and i can see the counts change, and the position is scaled correctly when i monitor the encoder pins in HALSHOW. 

Im currently using JOINTS because i don't have home switches hooked up yet so i cant home any of the axis. Ive read that if you use joints, you can jog before homing.

Ive attached my handwheel configuration, and with that configuration, i see the JOINT.0.JOG-COUNTS increase, i also see JOINT.0.JOG-ENABLED is also true. But i get no movement. I Feel like im missing one HAL connection to make everything work.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2023 18:22 #280281 by TurboStreetCar
So another update, I changed the homing sequence in my INI file to be able to immediately home this axis, this way i could rule that out.

I also made some changes to clean up the code.

The handwheels operate perfectly now.

The list is getting short of things i need to figure out.

All that's left is spindle control, which i don't really see being a big challenge, and the tool turret logic.

More
13 Nov 2023 19:07 #285302 by TurboStreetCar
OK So im at another hurdle here. I need to decide how to deal with this aspect of the original control configuration.

Ive attached a diagram from the machines manual. It is for the Safety Relay wiring. This controls the servo drive enables in its original configuration. It monitors the motor overload, servo alarm, and Estop switches, and shuts it all down if one of them trips. 

Im trying to decide if this is an old technology way to do things, and if i would be better off scrapping the safety relay and using the 7i97 boards enable controls to shut things down instead. 

Part of me wants to leave this in its current state, and work around it because it works, and would be less work in the retrofit process. 

But another part of it, just wants to simplify the electrical cabinet and allow the new Mesa hardware do all the heavy lifting. 

Is there a standard way to deal with this?
Attachments:

More
13 Nov 2023 19:42 #285307 by Aciera
The standard way is to use a safety relay for this so what you have is really what you want.

More
14 Nov 2023 18:02 #285402 by TurboStreetCar
Gotcha! Thanks!

Ill maintain the existing circuit in that case.

Just feels weird to not use the Mesa 7i97 servo enables to control the "Servo On" Signals to the drives.

More
14 Nov 2023 22:55 #285436 by tommylight
Servo enables must be controlled by LinuxCNC, that is not something to negotiate on analog servo drives.
E-stop should cut power to drives, most analog drives have two power inputs, the main input used for powering the output stage and another power input for the logic part, the one powering the output stage should be controlled by E-stop.
Easy to differentiate, logic input has thinner wires and a single phase.

More
19 Nov 2023 20:45 #285952 by TurboStreetCar
I believe i can both maintain this circuit, and use the servo enables on the Mesa card, However, it would be one enable for all the drives.

Ive attached three pages of the electrical diagram that will explain the situation. 

The X and Z axis, as well as the Spindle drives, are all controlled by Relay "CR1" as well as the interrupt from the safety relay "SR1".

The Bridgeport circuit is as follows:

The servo packs logic power pin (pin 1CN-47), receives 24V+ from the Bridgeport control from pin CN3-B33 (X Axis) and CN3-B9 (Z Axis).

The "Servo ON" signal (servo pack pin 1CN-40), is grounded via SR1 and CR1 relays to ground pin CN3-C33 on the Bridgeport control.

CR1, is controlled by the Bridgeport control, and when the machine is "enabled" CR1 is activated and the "Servo ON" pins on the servo packs are pulled low, Enabling their motion.

The problem, is the CR1, ALSO controls "K1", which is the contactor that supplies line voltage to all of the drives. So i cannot simply remove CR1, and wire the Servo ON pins to the Mesa Enables. 

HOWEVER, i CAN wire the ground side of CR1, to the Mesa enables. This way, the Mesa enables must be active, AS WELL as the CR1, and SR1 relays, in order to pull the Servo ON signals low.

Im just not sure how necessary that is, being as im going to be controlling CR1 with an output, that is tied to the machine enabled status..

Ive also attached a simplified diagram of the existing circuit, and the possible was to wire it into the Mesa Enables.
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds