Bridgeport Interact 1 mark 2 MTI-1 transformer

More
08 Jan 2022 19:08 #231153 by cybermaus
Hi all

I have a Bridgeport Interact 1 mark 2 with KTK spindle drive, and I got it working with quite some repairs.
So now it is fully working. However, the transformer on the MTI-1 board also got damaged, I am currently running it with 3 separate jury rigged transformers. Because the original it is a small but 415V in and 16V+18V+18V triple out transformer, so rather custom. (Model OEP M1818/6)

So here my question:
Among all you retrofitters, is there anyone who has a MTI-1 board tossed aside. Even if broken/burned, as I only need the transformer?
(actually, I may be interested in more spare parts, but this is the one I need)

Many Thanks

BTW: as stated, I did quite some troubleshooting and repairs:
- replaced burned RIFA capacitors on KTK drive
- replaced shorted Fako capacitor on TNC-155 controller PSU
- replaced burned RIFA capacitors on MTI-1 drive
- replaced shorted SCR/Thyristor on MTI-1 board
- replaced fused relais

So if anyone needs some help on the (original) electronics of this thing, try asking me, I am slowly building some understanding, though here is always more to learn. Also, I have a pretty complete set of schematics.

Thanks

The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh, tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2022 13:56 #232435 by andypugh
Have you considered winding your own transformer?
For your application it seems that it might be fairly easy to take something like a 415 -> 230V transformer and then remove the secondary to replace it with your 3 x low voltage secondaries. That way you don't need to worry so much about properly encapsulating and insulating the primary.

There might be some good info online, I found this with a quick google.
www.electronicdesign.com/power-managemen...your-own-transformer

More
19 Jan 2022 13:59 #232436 by andypugh
Here is an example of what I have in mind, as a commercial product:
toroid.com/transformer-kits/

Which leads me to wonder how hard it would be to simply _ignore_ the existing secondary on a toroid and add your own three. As long as the existing secondary is left open-circuit it should be invisible.

More
19 Jan 2022 14:16 - 19 Jan 2022 14:17 #232437 by cybermaus
thanks, yes it would be an option. But here is the thing: For it to fit on the PCB, it needs to be the exact pin-out and size. (a EI42 core with EI38 pinout)

And to make it external, mounted elsewhere in the cabinet like above self made toroid, well, then I can easily pick up a pair of small R-core/chassis/toroid transformers from ebay. (a pair of them, so get both voltages) 

Not very clean, but they would be very small, so I could make it work.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2022 14:17 by cybermaus.

More
24 Jan 2022 17:41 #232987 by cybermaus
Some followup:

ACE Transformers and Coils in the Netherlands will build me a drop in made to order PCB transformer. I mention their name, but to be honest, I am not even sure they want too much of this sort of one-off business.

Price is of course way higher then mass produced transformers, but is kinda what I had originally expected/hoped.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds