Sinumeric 840D Control with mesa Cards

More
04 Mar 2023 10:16 - 04 Mar 2023 10:25 #265832 by santy
Good morning
Any suggestions on attempting to drive 840d servo and spindle drives with a mesa card?

They use a very specific X21 interface to communicate with the controller  (dead) and I have an old machine that could have some use...

I've not found many information on the forum about the topic, has anyone attempted it yet? thank you

Here is the parts in question:

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2023 10:25 by santy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2023 12:43 #265847 by andypugh
Have you found any information at all on the protocol?

More
04 Mar 2023 12:59 #265848 by db1981
Hello,

pictures and sheet only give information about the Simudrive Powerstage.
Above the stickers there is an control module placed in the amp with many connectors.
This device has its own SN Number, post this or pictures. Module could be analog or profibus or .... .

More
04 Mar 2023 16:06 #265851 by santy
It's a 2000 chiron cnc machine with tool changer. any ways i could find the protocol? 

is it doable with certain protocols, but with others not?

Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2023 16:45 #265855 by db1981
the number on the front of the control module from the amplifer is need.
Its placed under the last Ribbon Connecter, remove the Ribboncable and note the number.

For first, its good that these are no profibus drives....

More
04 Mar 2023 21:41 #265870 by santy
Here it isthank you for the help 
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2023 09:54 #265948 by db1981
these controller boards have analog control.
But them are so old, that i can't find the prober docu files at siemens. In your version connectors are all ribbon cables, seems that there are exixst exteren breakout boxes or them are directly connected to 840s position controller.

As far as i remember 840Ds (not 840Di) from that age, interacts heavily with the simodrives by much io pins. So i think it is a must have to get an old pg pc with simucom u software to get information about the io pins/config from the drives.

More
06 Mar 2023 13:27 #265953 by santy
i was told these drives were drive'cliq, not analog

analog would be simpler to output from a mesa card i suppose

More
06 Mar 2023 14:21 #265954 by db1981
drivecliq is mostly used for encoders... i think drivecliq is newer then these drives...

Have found somethin about the control modul...
I no your case, you have an complete 840 drive block: Powersupply, NCU Unit (cnc controller) Axisdrives , Pheripherie breakout. Unfortunaly the drives are all communicating with the ncu over the System/Drive Bus (Ribbon Cable) .
I don't think that there will be any option for adapting lcnc.

only solution:
get rid of the ncu unit and change control moduls in drive to "universal Controlmodul" with analog ios.

More
06 Mar 2023 22:01 #265983 by santy
yes its a full 840d set.
the machine turns on but the screen part doesn't at all.
my idea is exactly that, change the servo drive modes to some setting that linuxcnc can use, and the same for the VFD, and maybe have something that can be usable after i start interfacing with every axis, spindle and sensors..

i'm really interested in going through with this job but i can't find much information. how do i do that " change control moduls in drive to "universal Controlmodul" with analog ios"? i imagine doing this would make my job a lot simpler.

power is already being fed to the motors and the encoder is already connected to the drives, so i just need to send the signals to the drive, if via stepdir would be better, but if i need to use a script or change in hal configuration to send different signals, so be it. where can i learn more about the topic?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds