Is there a list of the easiest to more difficult cnc lathes and mills to convert

More
19 Oct 2023 02:42 #283267 by HighSpeed
pretty much the topic.
it seems like the bridgeport cnc retrofits are plenty and easy to do(probably due to lower cost and high availablity) But there are less documented cnc lathe conversions than mills. Not seeing many Okumas, or Hardinge lathes being converted. Any insights here? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2023 13:17 #283296 by andypugh
Anything that is already CNC and not controlled by a proprietary serial (and / or optical)[1] interface should be relaively straightforward.

Converting manual machines to CNC is generally more work, but is often a good choice for a small home shop, as built-as-cnc machines are generally rather bulky, even if just with cabinets and covers.

[1] Fanuc yellow cap, for example.

More
20 Oct 2023 01:37 #283335 by HighSpeed
is there a list of manufacturers that use standardized serial and optical interfaces ? or which manufacturers that use proprietary serial and optical interfaces ?

More
20 Oct 2023 08:06 #283340 by ihavenofish
Your question is backwards here. Every cnc machine is a bit different and there are literally thousands of brands. There is no "list" or "standard". You need to pick a specific machine available to you, and then determine what it has and see if linuxcnc can control it.

The only useful rule of thumb I can say is pre 1995 is most often analogue, and you can control it with linuxcnc. Post 1995 is most often some form of serial that you will not be able to make use of (unless it is VERY new and uses ethercat). But this is going to vary greatly, even within the same brand of machines and controls
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Oct 2023 10:03 #283346 by tommylight
I have bumped into post 1995 machines that use analog control, up to 2002, if i remember correctly.

More
20 Oct 2023 17:57 #283365 by ihavenofish
Sure, I said "most often" and "vary greatly". :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Oct 2023 18:21 #283370 by tommylight

Sure, I said "most often" and "vary greatly". :)

Yup, i got that, just added to what you stated, probably could have formulated it a bit differently but being in a consistent hurry does lead to such short and often miss understood statements.
Thank you, and thank you for everything you do on this forum.

More
20 Oct 2023 18:34 #283372 by ihavenofish
Take a break, eat some pizza, relax... :P

Wait, no, that's me. Mmmmmm piiiizaaa

haha

I was just pointed to a biesse cnc the other day form 1999. I am trying to figure out what drives they use. This is right around the time they transitioned from analogue to mechatrolink, and some of the LATER drives can support analogue and pulse as well, but older ones cant. A bit backwards to what you might guess on them.

The CNC world will be much nicer when industrial and hobby machines alike are on ethercat.... although we wont get any more $500 machines cause they wont go obsolete in the same way. Trade offs. haha.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds