LinuxCNC compatible VFD's

More
14 Jan 2024 12:56 #290635 by tom_no
Hi,

How do I go about finding LinuxCNC compatible VFD's when having to replace my current?
Looking for a 7.5 kW drive with serial communications support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2024 13:38 #290637 by Calysto
Replied by Calysto on topic LinuxCNC compatible VFD's
In the linuxcnc manual , under Hardware Drivers, you will find the standard drivers. But with mb2hal, VFDMOD, Classic Ladder, etc.. you can communicate with every VFD that uses standard modbus.

More
15 Jan 2024 09:59 #290747 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC compatible VFD's
Just to insert a mention of mesa_modbus, which should allow realtime Modbus control via the Mesa card UARTs.

The manpage for this also lists the dedicated drivers and other modbus tools:

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/drivers/mesa_modbus.html

More
15 Jan 2024 20:30 #290794 by tom_no
Replied by tom_no on topic LinuxCNC compatible VFD's
I didn't think it was possible to use the serial connection on the MESA board for modbus; quite sure I've seen comments about it seaching the forum. New features enabled by PCW?

To be spesific; can I use the RS-422 serial port on the MESA 7i77 for modbus communication with a VFD supporting RS-485 modbus? No need for USB dongle?

I added this to my shopping basket yesterday in frustration over the old one;
no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delta-Electr...=NO¤cyCode=NOK

More
15 Jan 2024 22:01 - 15 Jan 2024 22:01 #290806 by andypugh

To be spesific; can I use the RS-422 serial port on the MESA 7i77 for modbus communication with a VFD supporting RS-485 modbus? No need for USB dongle?

Probably not, but PCW would know for sure. It depends if that RS422 port has a tx-enable pin. Only one of those on the 7i74 is available because of this limitation, and the 7i77 is also a 25-pin card, so probably runs into the same pin-count limitation. 
Last edit: 15 Jan 2024 22:01 by andypugh.

More
15 Jan 2024 22:08 #290808 by andypugh
To go into this further, the 7i74 pinout on page  4 here  has a single /TXEN7 pin. The 7i44  has one for every channel. 
Looking at the manual for the 7i77   it looks like SmartSerial Channel2 does have TXEN pin, so there is a fair chance that it can be made to work, if SS2 is the expansion channel. 
It would need a custom firmware with a UART on that channel instead of a smart-serial module. 

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds