Possible retrofit of a Körner Magic550 CNC Machine

More
14 Feb 2024 00:30 #293284 by Dedeer
Hello everyone.This is my first message here. I’m trying to gather information about a machine that we have at work and that my boss wants to retrofit. I suggested Linuxcnc and Mesa and as I suggested it I got the job of finding more information.
The machine in question is a German machine made in 2005 by the Körner company and the model is Magic 550. It’s a 3 axis machine with a fourth servo for the toolchanger. The servo drives are unmarked and so are the motors. There is a windows XP running PC which has a Serial pci board with 8 serial ports. From this board there are 5 RJ11 cables going to the servo drives and to a breaoutboard which is located separate from the drives. We have some schematics in which the XYZ servos are labeled as Haidenhein and the tool changer servo is labeled as Siemens but there is no label for the drives. The software which runs the machine is called CNC900W. 
My question is ,can someone help with figuring out what signal type these servo drives accept and recommending the appropriate Mesa card.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2024 00:51 #293286 by tommylight
Attach the schematics here on the forum so we can have a look.

More
14 Feb 2024 08:16 - 14 Feb 2024 08:34 #293302 by Dedeer
Ok,thanks for replying. I managed to take some photos.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Feb 2024 08:34 by Dedeer.

More
15 Feb 2024 13:58 #293392 by Dedeer
More info. I found a brochure online where it says that the software controls the servos digitally and something about frequency  16khz and 14bit so I think it’s safe to say these are not analog controlled.
On the schematics the servos are listed as QSY96G for Z axis ,QSY116J for X and Y axis which are from Haidenhein and FK7022 for the toolchanger which is from Siemens. I looked online for the recommended drives for these motors but they don’t look like the ones that are in the electrical cabinet .

More
15 Feb 2024 14:09 #293395 by Aciera
Yes, those drives do not look very promising. Seems like some serial interface.
So for a refit you would need to either find compatible drives for your motors or replace motors and drives. The spindle drive seems to be analog, so that would probably work as is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dedeer

More
15 Feb 2024 14:48 #293402 by Dedeer
Ok,that’s not good news. Can you explain a little how serial interfacing might work ?
On the other hand I searched about the recommended drives from Heidenhain and they are PWM controlled. Can Mesa cards send PWM signals?

More
15 Feb 2024 15:26 #293408 by Aciera
Well there are all kinds of serial interfaces. CANbus, Profibus, Sercos are the better known ones but there are others, using proprietary protocols. Trying to get yours to work with linuxcnc would require _serious_ research just to figure out the protocol used, let alone the work needed to actually implement it.
PWM is possible, I think, but you would need to link some documentation to the drives in question so the mesa guys can have a proper look at it.

More
15 Feb 2024 17:21 #293421 by Dedeer
Not much information on the Heidenhain drives.  Can anyone recommend a alternative servo+drive combo to the motors that are now in the machine. I have attached all the info I have found.
Attachments:

More
21 Feb 2024 11:30 #293904 by Dedeer
I attached the link to the manual for the Heidenhain servo drives which are compatible with the QSY motors that are installed in the machine . Maybe someone can shed some light on how these communicate with the pc. UM310 is the drive that is of interest . 

www.heidenhain.it/fileadmin/pdf/de/01_Pr...OEM_ID1303180_de.pdf

More
21 Feb 2024 16:39 #293911 by Aciera

HEIDENHAIN-Umrichtersysteme
Die Umrichtersysteme der Antriebsgeneration Gen 3 von
HEIDENHAIN sind für den Betrieb an HEIDENHAIN-Steuerungen
mit digitaler Drehzahlregelung und Kommunikation über GBit-HSCI
geeignet.

Sound like it uses HSCI bus for communication. Never heard of it but I'm pretty sure that is a nogo with linuxcnc.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds