HELP WANTED to do a retrofit on a Hardinge Lathe

More
10 Feb 2011 15:29 - 10 Feb 2011 15:31 #7113 by novice
I would like to hear from anyone that has done a retrofit on a Hardinge CHNC lathe using the original motors. I would like any notes you might have on how to do it. I am a novice as the handle implies so I can use all the help I can get. If there is anyone in the East Tennessee area that has done one I would like to see the machine and to talk to you to get ideas. There are a few pictures on the link that show the inside of my electrical cabinet. Thanks, Email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Grunt1968/
Last edit: 10 Feb 2011 15:31 by novice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2011 23:33 #7146 by BigJohnT
Do the original controls work at all? Might help in tracing out circuits...

John

More
12 Feb 2011 00:04 #7147 by robh
hi, i dont know of any one that has used any HiAk drives i dont think i have a manual for any ether, we dont have any so i cant see how u interface to them sorry,.

is the spindle motor AC or DC?
i take the HiAks are DC for DC brushed motors?

rob

More
12 Feb 2011 01:20 #7148 by PCW
I think a good first step would be to search for, beg for, or borrow the machine drawings and the HI-AK servo drive info.

Also those drives look pretty ancient, if you are handy with a soldering iron, replacing the electrolytic capacitors would not be a bad idea...

More
12 Feb 2011 07:40 #7151 by Kirk_Wallace
I used Jon's PWM amps on my HNC:
www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/

I sent my left over amps to Jeff or Chris, so at least one person knows how to get them working. I believe the resolvers where use too. Check with Jon at pico-systems.com/motion.html

I may still have the manual and schematics or I may have sent those too. I can look if needed.
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
California, USA

More
12 Feb 2011 14:17 #7159 by novice
Yes, I can use any help that I can get. The manual and schematics would be a great help.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds