Just a heads up about Inkscape

More
20 Jan 2018 13:47 #104745 by garybeard333
Hi. first time posting, and this is most likely well known but I was struggling with it for a while so I thought I would share.

I've found that when using Inkscape and them importing the SVG files into other programs such as MakerCam and HeeksCNC, that many of the objects are in the wrong position or at the wrong scale.

The solution is to ensure that there are no grouped objects in the SVG file, and the simplest way to sort it is to select everything and hitting ctrl-shift-G a bunch of times before saving.

Also some of the curves may not work well. This can be solved by selecting the nodes around the area where there was a problem and just changing the node type to a different curve type.

I find that if HeeksCNC imports the SVG correctly, then the G-Code produced by MakerCam is almost guaranteed to load fine in LinuxCNC.

This is most likely common knowledge, but I thought I'd share on the off-chance it might save someone else a load of hassle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 17:14 #104902 by garybeard333
As a follow up. Ive also found that groups of copied items also cause issues.
For example: If you had a circle and inside that circle were a square and triangle and you selected all of them, copied and then pasted them, then the resulting copy will nearly always be in the wrong position, scale and/or rotation, when you bring it into Heeks or similar.
I haven't found a way around this yet other than to only copy objects individually.
I'm not sure what is causing this, it must be the way that inkscape saves the locations for group-copied items.
If anyone has any ideas about how to get around this I'd certainly be interested in hearing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds