Any Ideas for how to Nest Parts in 3D for SLS, SLA etc.?

More
15 Sep 2020 20:09 #182264 by Bari
imgur.com/ap5F4LS

Is there any CAM software for nesting 3D models for 3D printing using SLS, SLA etc. not CNC glue guns?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2020 20:52 #182271 by tommylight
That makes things a bit ... how should i say this ... complicated ! :)
One idea ( i did not say it was a good idea ) is to make each part at different places and then at different heights and use a python filter to open the resulting gcode files and arrange them by say file name number. Thinking of it while writing this that would work for different levels but not for parts on the same level, so make multiple parts at one level, then more parts at another level and so on. It would be very usable for same height stuff on each level, but not very efficient for different height stuff.
Outa ideas for now. :silly:

More
15 Sep 2020 20:56 #182273 by Bari
github.com/Jack000/SVGnest Saw this for 2D nesting. Might be handy to some here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Sep 2020 21:23 #182279 by Bari
www.autodesk.com/compare/compare-features/netfabb not free or open, and I don't know how well it actually works for 3D packing.

More
19 Sep 2020 01:52 #182697 by Larry
I do have experience with FDM printing. Most of this is handled in the slicer program. I assume you have similar software for your printer. As for modeling, FreeCAD can handle that quite well. Without launching into a multipart tutorial, I’ll say this. While designing in the, “Part Design Workbench”, don’t select the create body icon as suggested by the prompt. Instead select the yellow part Icon located on tool bar above. It looks just like the body icon except for the color. Once part is selected, then click on the part icon in your model tree. Then select the body icon from the toolbar. After that, you create a sketch within the body. As an added bonus, inside the part tree, all of your modeling enjoys its own private coordinate system which allows you to move your part anywhere in the global coordinate system by clicking on the part icon in your tree and adjusting the position in the lower combo box menu. After you create the first part, create the second etc. Once you have all of your parts positioned in the global coordinate system, create a mesh of all of the parts. From the mesh tool box, combine all meshes in to one mesh, they should still be separated in space. Select the combined mesh and export it to an STL file. I think that should work unless your printer software cannot handle an STL file.

More
19 Sep 2020 02:08 #182698 by Bari
The printers are all custom SLS, SLA, LCD/DLP etc and run LinuxCNC. Models come from customers from all over and may be in any popular format IGES, STEP, STL, or native SW, NX etc.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds