Parametric enclosure with FreeCAD

More
30 Oct 2020 19:13 - 30 Oct 2020 19:26 #187819 by Grotius
@Gerrit,

Oke i was wrong about the name. But they took it down completely for linux users. Even a non free licence is not possible for linux.

Freecad is a high level software product, free charge. The documentation is more then good.
There are instruction video's, forums etc. There is much documentation. Users can sniff into the source code.. Users can write
their own modules etc.

Your negative view to the free software developers is something to be aware off.

Good luck !!
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 19:26 by Grotius.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2020 19:52 #187823 by gerritv
I don't have a negative view of free sw developers, I have a realistic view of what the sw is and provides. While Freecad is free in $, it is not free in my time spent reaching dead ends for what I need. I am used to using professional level documentation and support in my 43+ year working life. Telling me to go look at the source code is a pathetic response. I don't want to write my own modules and in fact most users don't want to do that (and can't). I had to do that on many ocassions with pbx sw and it was a most distasteful task in reverse engineering uncommented code. Thankfully I no longer have to maintain that for my friends.
I am happy to pay for Fusion360, it is well worth it.
LinuxCNC has reached a level of good documentation, and plenty of support videos.
I will look at FreeCad again in a few years and see if it is worth switching to, at present it won't work for me. I'm happy that it is good enough for you.

More
30 Oct 2020 20:57 #187832 by BeagleBrainz
You weren’t being told to look at the source code, “users can look at the source code” is not a directive. It’s a statement of what is possible.
After looking at the FreeCad wiki it is quite rich in documentation and small tutorials to get users going.
Like most other OSS projects and I dare say propitiatory products improvements come from user input.
One has to look also at how long each of the mentioned offerings has been in development and the knowledge base available.
But one would have to agree that commercial entities are under no obligation to make “free” versions available. It is just an enticement, as were the free food samples in supermarkets.
Would it be expected of BP to give away a free tank of fuel every time they come up with a “new” formulation or offer free fuel to non commercial drivers ?

More
30 Oct 2020 21:54 - 30 Oct 2020 21:59 #187840 by jbraun
If a person or company can make money with code good for them. At the same time I enjoy watching Blender nipping at the heels of some of Autodesk's offerings and wish the same success for FreeCad. As a hobby cnc guy I like FreeCad being integrated cad with cam. If cad/cam was my bread and butter I would buy software with fewer bugs and support. Fusion is starting to look like a dead end for free license users and eventually it will be.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 21:59 by jbraun.

More
13 Nov 2020 20:21 #189250 by jbraun
Thanks Larry for the videos, I'll subscribe when I get an account.

FreeCad 0.19 is now the stable release in everything but name.
Path does more than it appears at first glance, check the wiki on how to enable the experimental features.

More
20 Dec 2020 11:54 #192518 by dcse
I have just watched all the youtube videos - As a CAD leaner they are fascinating , I have followed along and started re creating your freecad files and it all so far makes sense .,I got to the end of no 7 and thought yes great job.Have you released the link to the files yet ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackW327

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds