STL, STEP or IGES Interface in EMC

More
28 Oct 2010 14:01 #4935 by Midnightwolf
it was just an idea to develop such an "filter" ... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2010 14:04 #4936 by BigJohnT
Good idea! It would work for engraving as you follow the line and have a constant depth.

John

More
28 Oct 2010 14:15 #4937 by Midnightwolf
But isn't enough for my STL models....

Ok... I will take a licens for CUT3D in the next step. That will be the only way to translate my 3D models... :(

PyCAM is good for "easy" models... that will be fine for the first tests on my self made portal machine... ;)

More
28 Oct 2010 15:15 #4939 by andypugh
Midnightwolf wrote:

But isn't enough for my STL models....

Have you looked at HeeksCAD? (I admit I haven't looked for some time)

More
29 Oct 2010 05:22 #4953 by Midnightwolf
Hi Andy,

yes I had a look into HeeksCAD. It's a little bit strange to use.... Also I had some trouble with the handling.

Regards
Benjamin

• Der3er
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2010 10:34 #5015 by Der3er
Replied by Der3er on topic Re:STL, STEP or IGES Interface in EMC
Well, a step or iges based cam module that would allow for even fairly basic toolpath strategies would certainly be GREAT! Obviously, it is not just an import filter but rather a complex affair as it should address at least some of the basic toolpath issues. And these are manifold. But still: It seems somewhat unreasonable to use either very expensive or very cheap software cam-packages that in their way will not fit the bill of most emc users. As of now I'm using cut3d and vcarve pro, they work well most of the time. BUT: the toolpath strategies are somewhat inferior -as one would expect, actually, at that price- and sadly it takes me more time to get the toolpaths done than designing my models in the first place.

A word of advice about cut3d: This is rather an ameteur-tool. It puts out toolpaths, yes. But do not expect something that will equal those from real world production packages. My 2 cts

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds