Workflow for LinuxCNC / PlasmaC tubing notcher

More
14 Feb 2024 16:33 #293322 by markbaenen
I'm looking for very specific info on workflow for using a PlasmaC tubing notcher (that I really want to build). I've looked up a bunch of topics but can't wrap my head around this.I have a PlasmaC powered plasma table (pic) and I am very familiar with designing parts in FreeCAD -> export as DXF -> import drawing in SheetCAM -> produce G code with PlasmaC post -> load G code into PlasmaC -> Cut. I also have a LinuxCNC powered 3-in-1 with Axis (pic) and for the mill I do very much the same flow except using the Axis post. What I envision is taking a tube frame model from SolidWorks, say a Dune Buggy frame, grab an individual member from the frame (a tube section) -> feed it into SheetCAM (with his plug-in)  -> notch tube on rotary axis plasma cutter -> Weld frame together. Anyone have a specific workflow example of how this is done?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2024 18:01 #293326 by tommylight
Assuming tube is round, everything can be done in two dimensions wrapped around an axis, so no need for complicated 4 axis software.
I use X axis usually as the rotary axis, make separate configs for each tube perimeter and do all the drawings in Inkscape in 2D.
Square tubing is super easy or very complicated, depending on what you want to do. No cuts from side to side = easy as it is just 2D on a single plane.
SheetCAM has something for square tubing and 4 axis, but i never used it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: markbaenen

More
14 Feb 2024 20:06 #293333 by markbaenen
That's a great open-source solution, which I am totally into, but for this project I am wed to Solidworks - mostly because it is so ubiquitous. I know FreeCAD a lot better myself. How does one get the cut path off the tube (yes ROUND) and out of Solidworks?
Mark

More
14 Feb 2024 21:02 #293342 by rodw
This is super simple in Solidworks or any CAM system that supports sheet metal.
Simply design your tube with all its holes, then add an extruded cut  through one side of the tube the full length. Use a minimal width 0.01mm or smaller.
So then convert to sheetmetal and flatten. This gives you a perfect 2D pattern on a single plane that Tommy describes.
For each tube size, create a seperate config with different steps per mm setting based on the circumference of the tube.

More
14 Feb 2024 21:06 #293343 by rodw

How does one get the cut path off the tube (yes ROUND) and out of Solidworks?
Mark

Easy, Flatten your part and save a DXF file. I use sheetcam to convert to gcode
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, markbaenen

More
19 Feb 2024 16:55 #293770 by markbaenen
Thank you guys for your help! It took a couple days to wrap my head around this, but I've made progress.
I selected a body from an assembly and saved it as a new part. Now the new part - I just have to cut a line down it and flatten with sheetmetal - makes sense. A couple pics for documentation:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds