Using latexmath

More
08 Sep 2011 16:05 #13046 by jmelson
Using latexmath was created by jmelson
I'm working on the docs for my driver, and have problems getting the
following line to work:

latexmath:\frac{1}{ ( 100ns * ( `pulse-width` + `pulse-space-min` )) } \.

I'm not sure where this came from, was probably composed by the LyX
software some time in the past. It now produces no output at all in
the html document, it just goes on to the next sentence.

The formula looks like correct TeX to me, after the special [ and \]
syntax that seems to work other places in these documents.

It is supposed to generate something like :
1 / (100ns * (pulse-width + pulse-space-min))

Thanks,

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2011 16:27 #13047 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Using latexmath
Are you working on 2.5 docs? If so when the conversion was made from Lyx a few things remain broken, this could be one of them. I'd recommend just typing it out in plain type and drop the latexmath. Also in 2.5 you don't edit the .lyx files anymore they are just there to take up space... so make sure your editing the .txt file. Sorry if you know this already.

If it was a conversion snafu I can try and take a look later today, what file are you editing?

John

More
08 Sep 2011 16:53 #13049 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:Using latexmath
BigJohnT wrote:

Are you working on 2.5 docs? If so when the conversion was made from Lyx a few things remain broken, this could be one of them. I'd recommend just typing it out in plain type and drop the latexmath.

Well, a small number of other documents use it and it seems to work for them, including one that used
the \frac function very similarly to what I'm doing.

Also in 2.5 you don't edit the .lyx files anymore they are just there to take up space... so make sure your editing the .txt file. Sorry if you know this already.

If it was a conversion snafu I can try and take a look later today, what file are you editing?

John

Right now I am working on the master version of docs/src/drivers/pico_ppmc.txt

Jon

More
08 Sep 2011 17:36 #13051 by BigJohnT
jmelson wrote:

Right now I am working on the master version of docs/src/drivers/pico_ppmc.txt

Jon

Ok, but you should not be working on master for docs unless it only applies to master.

John

More
09 Sep 2011 04:17 #13059 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:Using latexmath
BigJohnT wrote:

Are you working on 2.5 docs? If so when the conversion was made from Lyx a few things remain broken, this could be one of them. I'd recommend just typing it out in plain type and drop the latexmath. Also in 2.5 you don't edit the .lyx files anymore they are just there to take up space... so make sure your editing the .txt file. Sorry if you know this already.

John

Ugh, it looks like we have a BIG mess, actually several of them.

1. latexmath certainly does not work on the html conversion. In my doc it just completely drops out the equations, in other places the raw TeX commands just get printed verbatim. But, they look FINE in
the PDF files. So, I'd hate to take them out and just have all the equations in raw ASCII. UGH!
Instances of this are ALL over the Integrator's Manual, easiest to just do a grep for "latexmath" and then go looking for that representation in the HTML files. One of the worst is in "Integrator Manual / Kinematics" then
scroll down to section 3.1 and you'll see a whole bunch of the raw TeX commands. I can actually read that stuff since I use TeX, but I'll bet few others can.

I don't know if there is a good fix for this mess, but it is a widespread situation that affects dozens of files, and affects the readability of the html documents. I wouldn't be opposed to having some kind of switch that keeps BOTH the latexmath format for the PDF conversion and has an ASCII representation for the HTML conversion, if that's the only way.

2. The hardware interface docs seem to have disappeared from the Integrator's Manual PDF. There
used to be a whole section on Mesa, Pico Systems and other interface boards. If this has been moved
somewhere new, let me know, but I searched all the PDF manuals and couldn't find it. (This is from the
unreleased development master link on the docs page.)

The 2.5 link you put in yesterday only has the HTML version.

3. If you go to the unreleased docs and select ALL [HTML] and then go down to the HAL manual Introduction, the table of contents doesn't look like the one from the page above. Section 3.3 Hardware Drivers just goes back to the linuxcnc.org main page, as do a few of the others. You CAN reach the page for the hardware drivers from the main HTML doc page. So, this is just very inconsistent.

Jon

More
09 Sep 2011 18:41 #13072 by BigJohnT
Yea, KimK completely changed the docs in 2.5 and I don't have a clue where anything is anymore. I spent years trying to get things into some kind of sensible flow of information but that is all gone now. The HTML pages are a mess for 2.5 too with overleaf images and overleaf pages and copyright pages for every manual when only one is needed. Just cruising the HTML it seems like quite a few documents are missing.

In addition to the latexmath none of the links work anymore... I don't know how the conversion from the .txt files works so I can't help with latexmath.

The sad thing is no one seems to be working on them...

John

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds