LinuxCNC Discord? (for chat & support)

More
26 Mar 2019 00:26 #129630 by Vinito
I browsed the "documentation is poor" thread and it got me thinking about old-fangled vs. whippersnapper technologies Du Jour.
I noticed that there's some kind of IRC and maybe that's working great, but I've got onto a couple Discord servers for other subjects lately and wonder if the LinuxCNC community would benefit from having one of those set up? Despite my perpetual resistance to the new, I must admit that Discord is indeed pretty slick.
In case you don't know, it's got a pretty smooth and current style of chat arrangement but it also allows for voice chat (which may be highly useful for support since it's real-time verbal discussion) and you can upload images and code text and what not. Plus probably a few dozen other features I don't even know about.

The only thing I'd suggest if this gets any traction is that the owner doesn't fall into the temptation of spamming channels into the thing. I think most of the time about three to five sub headings would be plenty adequate for any group, but most of them have about 30 and you get lost and alone if you dare to enter those infrequently visited rooms.
The rule of thumb is to set up less headings than you need (like maybe one for text chat, one for voice chat and maybe one or two for private chats when you want to get serious about troubleshooting with one person maybe) and only add additional ones once a room gets so busy it becomes distracting from the traffic.

What with the sparkly new GUI in progress (which looks awesome), maybe getting the chat up to date with current chat software might bring in more excitement about LinuxCNC.
Just a suggestion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2019 08:37 #129655 by pl7i92
people will find what they need
and Time will also run on this
Arduino rapberry and lots of MS systems are on market
so most wont go with linux

More
26 Mar 2019 11:22 #129668 by InMyDarkestHour
Oh that was one fun thread........I wonder where the OP is now

Never used Discord, just seem to use the forum for support, but hey why not.

Since Anita Sarkeesian needed crowd funding ($25K I heard) to set it up how much is needed.... ;)

More
26 Mar 2019 12:38 #129676 by tommylight
I did use it once some time ago, it is usable, but still i prefer IRC.
To prone to troll flooding and son enough it will have adds all over the place.
IRC has none of that.

More
27 Mar 2019 11:08 #129759 by andypugh
Who is going to offer support on the Discord server?

My worry would be diluting support even further. We already have a mailing list, IRC, this forum and a section on CNCZone. All seem to be supported by a different subset of people.

More
27 Mar 2019 22:58 #129800 by tommylight
And that reminds me, i have not been on cnczone and cncecke for a long time.
Shame on me ! :)

More
28 Mar 2019 07:35 #129820 by pl7i92
there are so many people that prefer different things to get infos
I think as a NEW (3Monzh CNC) member ther is plenty of info around
no need for more or even moderised Systems 4.0 is not into Hobby

More
23 Apr 2019 14:11 - 24 Nov 2021 16:02 #131635 by lukepighetti
There is a LinuxCNC discord hereĀ discord.gg/X3zKzhc

I believe it's best if the LinuxCNC IRC remains as a hardcore dev channel, for what it's worth. But everyone is welcome
Last edit: 24 Nov 2021 16:02 by lukepighetti.

More
23 Apr 2019 14:48 #131648 by pl7i92
the irc is long open for direct involve on the mashine itself
as you do not need any recorce its text based
BASIC fine for instruction on a live system

More
23 Apr 2019 14:55 - 19 Nov 2020 16:37 #131651 by lukepighetti
I would have agreed with you 5 years ago, but now it's 2019 and the old guard might consider bringing in young blood and upgrading the communications platform for the project. I don't personally know a single software developer under the age of 34 who uses IRC. Everything is Discord and Slack now, and for good reason. It's much more productive and accessible.

Edit: I believe it's best if the LinuxCNC IRC remains as a hardcore dev channel, for what it's worth.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 16:37 by lukepighetti.

Time to create page: 1.174 seconds