LinuxCNC Discord? (for chat & support)

More
08 Nov 2020 07:08 #188651 by Aciera

I'd love it if we moved this forum to Discourse, which is much nicer forum software.

Ok, I get that it's a real time chat and it does work well for that but as a replacement for this forum I think it falls very much short of the format we have here. I can't comment on moderating as I don't have experience with that but as a regular user trying to get and also give support I don't share your enthusiasm.
IMHO real-time chat is fine for smaller groups, say for the members of the development team or for communicating feedback to a few recipients like in online courses. In a setting where you have dozens or more users interacting with eachother its just a mess.

Of course it's a free world and everbody can set up their own thing for sharing knowledge on the internet and there have been all sorts of accounts opened on social media in the name of supporting LinuxCNC but I have yet to see one that works as well as this forum for actually getting and giving support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2020 07:26 #188652 by JetForMe
Oh, I don't think it should replace the forum at all! Not sure if that's what the OP intended. It should complement it.

More
08 Nov 2020 09:40 #188657 by Aciera

I'd love it if we moved this forum to Discourse, which is much nicer forum software.

Well I misunderstood you then because to me this implied a replacement.

Anyway, at the end of the day it comes down to what some of the long time support givers have already stated. The best place to look for help is where you have the best chance of getting an answer.
Now, one can certainly open new channels and hope that helpful users will actually come and frequently check for questions to try and answer them.

More
19 Nov 2020 16:32 - 19 Nov 2020 16:42 #189790 by lukepighetti
Just wanted to give an update on the status of the LinuxCNC Discord group and my thoughts on how it compliments both this forum and the IRC channel, they can all live in harmony.

Discord is not a replacement for this forum. Even though the technology is essentially a combination of IRC & Skype our community Discord server is not intended as a replacement for the LinuxCNC IRC. It is common in open source projects for serious dev work to occur on a separate server from community chat so that developers don't have to field the normal newbie questions and day to day banter. Community chat handles that. Discord in our context is LinuxCNC community chat. It now has 221 members and is quite active.

Discourse is a forum replacement which is not Discord. This thread is not about Discourse.

The future of the LinuxCNC IRC channel is not being questioned by me anymore. I believe the developers should work wherever they feel most comfortable.

Link to the Discord server in question: discord.gg/X3zKzhc
Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 16:42 by lukepighetti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
19 Nov 2020 17:49 #189797 by tommylight
Who owns discord ?

More
19 Nov 2020 22:55 - 19 Nov 2020 23:02 #189834 by lukepighetti
I'm the "server owner." "Server" in Discord parlance is a misnomer, it's more like a chat group. "Owner" is also a misnomer, because Discord hosts everything for free and that will always be the case.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 23:02 by lukepighetti.

More
20 Nov 2020 06:21 - 20 Nov 2020 06:30 #189868 by Aciera

Discourse is a forum replacement which is not Discord. This thread is not about Discourse.

Thanks for that note as I had totally missed that the discussion had changed from Discord to Discourse.
Sloppy reading on my part.

[edit]

I think the question was who owns the domain.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2020 06:30 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lukepighetti

More
20 Nov 2020 09:53 #189883 by tommylight

I think the question was who owns the domain.

It's more about who owns the information, read somewhere it is a chinese company, i absolutely and utterly refrain from giving such countries any info, just take a look at what they did with this pandemic, they will risk 7 billion people just to profit.
Dumb f@#$ , who are they gona profit from if they kill the population ???

More
20 Nov 2020 15:33 - 20 Nov 2020 15:37 #189893 by lukepighetti
Discord is based in San Fransisco. They are monetized through premium accounts. Investor info can be found here. craft.co/discord I have nothing to say about China because it's well outside the scope of this thread, but I have no reason to believe that Discord is anything other than a western owned, operated, and funded company.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2020 15:37 by lukepighetti.

More
20 Nov 2020 18:13 #189905 by tommylight
Oh goodie, had a look and found why they peddle so hard, have a look from their website:

They sell data.
So the statement "They are monetized through premium accounts" just sunk. Quick, call Jacques Cousteau ... oh he dead ! :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds