Usage of LinuxCNC logo on commercial products

More
01 Jul 2020 05:38 #173291 by mydani
Hi guys,

I know it's not a legal/lawyers forum... however, do you have a clue whether it's an issue to use the LinuxCNC logo on a commercial product, e.g. a machine which comes with LinuxCNC or even on a manual?

I'd assume the picture falls under the GPL2 like the sources, but then the source of the picture is online available, so no issue there - I guess.

Regards,
Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2020 14:42 #173843 by tommylight
Not sure but i think it should be OK as it is an open source project.
Tormach uses LinuxCNC for commercial products, so using a logo should be all good.

More
26 Jul 2020 03:02 #175847 by BeagleBrainz
Just had a quick look at the PathPilot blurb, doesn't seem to be any reference to Linuxcnc.
tormach.com/pathpilot-cnc-controller
Maybe it's buried in the small print somewhere. Or maybe it's elsewhere, if anyone knows where please point it out.

As for the original query.
Could be a thorny one.

Take Ubuntu for instance, software is open source, but they have ownership on the brand & logos. Any respins are supposed to have references to Ubuntu removed.

I'd check on the dev mailing list for 100% clarification, although hopefully it shouldn't be an issue.

More
26 Jul 2020 14:46 #175905 by Himarc3D
Usually pictures, artistic work people use Creative Commons License, i dont know if the Llinuxcnc logo have any license linked to it.
I IMHO the developers of Linuxcnc dont care about trademark or brand of the logo, they have one company behind it?

I dont think GPL request someone to put any kind of reference if they are using something under GPL or not.

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPL...reSourcePostedPublic

If i buy something from Tormach and i dont received the source code i can ask for the code.

More
26 Jul 2020 20:38 - 26 Jul 2020 20:47 #175966 by Grotius
Himarc3D,

You can ask for the source code.

If they have written custom code provided by the machine, they may have used a separate licence for that specific file or files.
They will give you the open source piece. But then the second question is. Is this code intact (operational) and usefull to you.

Qcad uses open source code for dxf import and non open code for other parts of the program.

But if you really need the source, play a little bit with ghidra. :whistle: is a free and open source reverse engineering tool developed by the National Security Agency (NSA).
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 20:47 by Grotius.

More
26 Jul 2020 22:38 - 26 Jul 2020 22:49 #175990 by Himarc3D
No, i dont need the code from there. My point is the guys there dont have the obligation to mention the use of Linuxcnc anywhere but will be nice if they do that because this is a open source project, i never saw their machines but you guys know better than me and if you say they are using i believe.
I will let all Linuxcnc mention in the GUI anywhere but if the copyright owner tell me to take off its okay no bad felling im grateful. if i have one site in the future ill mention the machine is powered by Linuxcnc, i think its the right thing to do.

To much for me Grotius to do that. I can reverse engineering using Faro3D scanner and Geomagic DesignX, your Kung Fu is high level for me hahahha im still into make tabs, buttons, message box etc, pretty basic stuff for my GUI.
Look to make one button to select the GUI languagefor the machine operator (i need 4 different languages), using HMI for PLC is pretty easy to do that...
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 22:49 by Himarc3D.

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds