Proposal for improving documentation

More
05 Dec 2020 20:17 #191163 by zz912
When I started with LinuxCNC, I thought that HAL modules could only be programmed in Python. I don't know Python, so I didn't deal with creating my own HAL component. It was just by chance that I found out that it is possible to create HAL modules in C. C is the Arduino language.
I make a suggestion to improve the documentation.

I think it would be appropriate to extend the article at least to the definition of Userspace and RTspace.
For example, at least some suitable reference.
www.linfo.org/user_space.html
www.linfo.org/kernel_space.html
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2020 09:23 - 22 Dec 2020 13:33 #192037 by zz912
Here could be added:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/examples/spin...l#_pwm_spindle_speed
Source for parport:

Source for MESA:
#PWM Generator signal/setup
setp hm2_7i96.0.pwmgen.pwm_frequency 1500
setp hm2_7i96.0.pwmgen.00.output-type 1
# Set the spindle's top speed in RPM
setp hm2_7i96.0.pwmgen.00.scale 5000
setp hm2_7i96.0.pwmgen.00.enable true
net spindle-speed spindle.0.speed-out-abs => hm2_7i96.0.pwmgen.00.value

source:
www.forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxc...h-mesa-7i92?start=10
Last edit: 22 Dec 2020 13:33 by zz912. Reason: I had error in code.

More
16 Dec 2020 01:09 #192088 by BeagleBrainz
For the impatient jump to the end of the post. :P
For the ramblings of an old man who likes to shout at clouds please continue and I'll tell you about how we used turnips to fix Red Sixes. ( well when there wasn't a lump hammer & cold chisel in reach )

I never had any trouble finding how to create HAL comps in C.I guess I'm just a little more inquisitive, and usually go through all the headings for a particular topic. And to be honest "HAL Component Generator" would be a good heading to read if you were wanting to create your own HAL components.

And to be fair the docs aren't really meant to be a in depth tutorial\reference on Linux programming in general.

And to be perfectly honest Arduino programming is more akin to C++ (a subset of C++) than plain old C. The 2 example below demonstrate this in a very basic way.

Classic Arduino HelloWorld.
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Hello World!");
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

HelloWorld from "C Programming With Arduino" By Warwick A Smith
#include <stdio.h>
#include "stdio_setup.h"

int main(void)
{
	UartInit();

printf("Hello, world!\r\n");

while(1) {
	}
}

Note that stdio_setup.h & the accompanying stdi_setup.c are supplied by the author.

Whilst the whole Arduino ecosystem has made microcontrollers & electronics more palatable to a larger audience, it also has the consequence of leaving many with a "one tool toolbox". Rather than throw a few logic gates together or (yes this is true) get a multimeter they turn to an Arduino.
I found a lot of the fun with microcontrollers was learning the assembly instructions associated with that particular chip and getting the most that I could out of it. You got a far better understanding from going that route.
And yes "back in the olden days" I did alot of win32 programming in assembly, not just apps but a device driver or 2 for Win 9x. At the time I found it easier than see as I could visualise the data moving around easier.

So after the long winded rambling of an old man, I hope you take 3 things, be a little bit more inquisitive, Arduino programming is a subset of C++ and finally, Arduino can make you a little lazy and not expose you to the whole picture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds