Kunena keeps failing me/A pitch for Discourse

More
30 Jan 2023 23:43 - 30 Jan 2023 23:48 #263279 by JetForMe
Hi all. I'd like to pitch the idea of migrating this forum to the Discourse forum software (not to be confused with Discord, the live chat software/platform). I find this forum to be slow and clunky, and I have to be very careful when replying to topics to be sure to copy my post before submitting, because there's a good chance Kunena will encounter an error and discard my writing.

Discourse is one of the most popular and modern forum applications out there. It's used by large open-source projects, like Swift, LLVM, Gnome, and many others. It is open-source, and free if you host it yourself. They also offer paid hosted services, and even offer a free hosted Discourse for "popular" open source projects that I think LinuxCNC would qualify for, but unfortunately does not support importing this old forum. However, there is a way to migrate this forum into a self-hosted or paid instance.

IMO its greatest strength is that it uses supports Markdown in posts, making it ideal for a forum such as ours where we’re routinely posting snippets of code and configuration files. It also has a good, free mobile app. And it’s very fluent to use. The UI is responsive and uncluttered.

I would be willing to take on the effort of trialing hosting this forum and migrating the old posts and users, but I would need read-only access to the Kunena DB, attachments, and configuration files. I’ll pay for the VM while I work on this. I figure I run through the import, work out the kinks, let a few people try the new forum, and then we do it all again for real, if we decide we like it.

Thoughts?
Last edit: 30 Jan 2023 23:48 by JetForMe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2023 23:44 #263280 by JetForMe
Wow, here's an example. I made a small edit to the title, and Kunena completely destroyed the links in my original post. Editing it now to try to fix it.

More
30 Jan 2023 23:47 #263281 by JetForMe
And after fixing the links, it removed the lines between paragraphs. When I go to edit it again, it destroys the links again.

More
31 Jan 2023 01:37 #263287 by tommylight
I thought this was again one of those "we should do Discord" kind of thing.
Thank you for not doing that.
Discord has one single aim=selling user info, and they plaster that all over the front page of the parent company.
As for Kunena, i can live with it, i just click on "source" first, then do stuff manually with code and colors and stuff. Who knew HTML will come handy! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
31 Jan 2023 09:00 #263317 by JetForMe
Sure you can live with it, but there really are far superior alternatives out there, aren't they worth a look?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke

More
31 Jan 2023 09:25 #263322 by phillc54
If we can get rid of the rubbish editor we currently have then I am all for it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, JetForMe, snowgoer540

More
31 Jan 2023 13:15 #263352 by andypugh

Sure you can live with it, but there really are far superior alternatives out there, aren't they worth a look?

They would be _if_ we could migrate the current content. I think we would lose a lot if we switched without migration (even if this forum content was archived)

The only truly terrible part of this forum is the editor, and I am optimistic that this might, at some point, get fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Jan 2023 23:48 #263407 by JetForMe
I wholeheartedly agree, it wouldn't be nearly as useful without migrating the content. But there is someone on the Discourse forums who has done this before, and he's willing to help me out.

More
01 Feb 2023 22:09 #263472 by JT
The editor is getting better the spell checker works now.

JT

More
02 Jun 2023 14:24 #272725 by Muecke
-- DE --
Hallo zusammen,

ich bin wirklich noch nicht lange hier im Forum und ehrlich gesagt mag ich Linux nicht wirklich, aber ich kann damit leben, dass es für meine Maschine notwendig ist.

Das bringt mich zu der Frage warum ich Linux nicht mag?
1. ich muss alles selbst machen (Windows macht vieles für mich)
2. es ist alt und sieht auch so aus
3. Ständig geht etwas kaputt und man muss es reparieren, neu einstellen ... (Windows macht das für mich)

Das ist mein Bild von Linux, es kann sein, dass sich das in manchen Versionen geändert hat, aber das ist mein Bild, das ich habe, und das ist genau das Bild, das auch dieses Forum vermittelt.

Die ganze Zeit funktioniert etwas nicht, es muss repariert werden und es sieht so aus, als ob die Dinosaurier das Disein gemacht haben.

Es tut mir wirklich leid, das sagen zu müssen, aber die Software des Forums wird nicht ausreichend gepflegt und gewartet.
Wenn ich daran denke, dass man mehr Leute von Linux überzeugen möchte, die Community größer aufbauen möchte, dann muss man mit der Zeit gehen und diese Forum Software hat ihre besten Tage hinter sich.

Ich habe selbst keine Ahnung wie viel Arbeit so ein Forum macht und wie viel Pflege da reingesteckt werden muss, aber Leute abzuweisen, die ihre Hilfe und Zeit anbieten hier unterstützend mitzuarbeiten, kann ich nicht verstehen, denn gefühlt mag dieses Forum niemand.

Sorry, das ist meine Meinung!
Mücke

-- EN --
Hello all,

I really haven't been on the forum long and to be honest I don't really like Linux, but I can live with it being necessary for my machine.

This brings me to the question why I don't like Linux?
1. I have to do everything myself (Windows does a lot for me)
2. it's old and looks old
3. something breaks all the time and you have to fix it, set it up again ... (Windows does it for me)

That's my image of Linux, it may be that it has changed in some versions, but that's the image I have, and that's exactly the image this forum gives too.

All the time something is not working, it needs to be fixed and it looks like the dinosaurs did the disein.

I'm really sorry to say this, but the software of the forum is not adequately maintained and serviced.
When I think about convincing more people to use Linux, building the community bigger, you have to move with the times and this forum software has its best days behind it.

I have no idea how much work such a forum takes and how much care has to be put into it, but to turn away people who offer their help and time to support here, I can't understand, because it feels like nobody likes this forum.

Sorry, that's my opinion!
Muecke

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds