Another tool table offset question

More
16 Aug 2011 04:11 - 16 Aug 2011 04:12 #12518 by justin
Hello I am brand new to this forum. First thanks to all for the infp on this site and all of the work in developing EMC. I have a Hardinge Chnc II lathe that I am going to retrofit with emc. On thing that really makes me question my plan is the ability to make tool wear compensation offsets while running parts on the machine.

I come from a commercial cnc (Fanuc and Yasnac) background where making these wear offsets is perhaps the most used feature on the control.

Normal process would be make a part, measure part features, make an offset to correct for variation between actual and desired diameter (in a lathe setting) (due to heat, tool wear, or variations in the touch off procedure)

This procedure is repeated dozens of times during a run of parts.

Would running something like this be at all practical in EMC?

If I update and press the reload tool table at what point exactly will my new values take effect? Would it be the next time the tool is called? The next time the (Gcode) program is started at the beginning? Or would you have to completely restart EMC?

Can the table be modified while running a part program?

Thanks for your time.

Justin
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 04:12 by justin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
16 Aug 2011 11:46 - 16 Aug 2011 11:48 #12521 by BigJohnT
Justin,

Here is some documentation on my web site on the conversion of my Hardinge CHNC I lathe including the ladder for the tool turret.

gnipsel.com/shop/hardinge/hardinge.xhtml

Tool touch off is applied at once if you use the touch off window. My touch off procedure for the lathe is to use a dowel and touch off to the spindle face for Z tool offset for all tools (make sure your in a coordinate system that does not have an offset in 2.4.x) calling that Z 0.00. I take a cut on a part and touch off the X and enter the actual measurement or radius depending on the mode I'm in. Then using any tool that makes sense I touch off the Z of the part and set my G54 Z offset. Now all the tools are set. If I put my material in and find an OD or ID is not what I expect then I move that tool to the correct location and touch off X. In 2.5 there is an option to touch off to a fixture so when you set the tool table offset you can be in a coordinate system with offsets and it won't foul up your touch off.

I also rely 99% of the time on ngcgui on the lathe as most ops can be programmed using ngcgui faster than a cam program.

Can the table be modified while running a part program?

I'm not sure I understand this question fully...

John
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 11:48 by BigJohnT.

More
16 Aug 2011 12:28 #12523 by andypugh
justin wrote:

Normal process would be make a part, measure part features, make an offset to correct for variation between actual and desired diameter (in a lathe setting) (due to heat, tool wear, or variations in the touch off procedure)

This is what Touch-off does. You have the option of touching-off to set the coordinate system, or the tool table.
What you describe would be achieved by pressing "touch off", selecting the tool table, and entering the actual tool tip X-position. The tool-table offset is updated immediately, and applied. You can either move to the nominal position and enter actual diameter first, or do a bit of mental arithmetic.

More
16 Aug 2011 12:31 #12524 by BigJohnT
That's what I usually do turn to some dimension, measure and enter actual.

John

More
16 Aug 2011 13:51 #12525 by btvpimill
I don't think EMC supports FANUC style geometry and wear offset. But to make sure I understand what you mean, with indexabe tooling, you currently enter the geometry offset, then use the wear offset as the tool dulls. Then after an insert change the wear is reset to 0 and only the geometry is in effect?

Thats how my O-T works, but I actually just use it as John has described. I never use the wear function.

More
16 Aug 2011 18:59 #12531 by justin
Thanks for all the replies and links. I will read through them.

Yes, what I would like to be able to replicate, if possible, is the Fanuc style Geometry and Wear offset system. When you first put in the tool and touch it off those numbers go into geometry and any adjustments due to tool wear or temperature changes in the machine would be done in wear. Typically the numbers in wear are pretty small .010" or less and yes, you can zero it when changing sides on a carbide insert and that normally gets you close. Basically the geometry is the absolute value telling the control where the tool tip is and the wear is an incremental offset to the geometry numbers.

It seems that the EMC style of offsets only uses what Fanuc calls Geometry and all changes must be made to this.

The nice thing about having a different offset system for making small adjustments is that it is really easy to see if you inputed a number incorrectly, say .100" instead of .010" therefore avoiding more trouble.

Say you a running 100 parts, and after 10 parts you measure the last one and notice that the bore size is .001 low, to fix this would you add this number to the value in your tool table or use the touch off function? And in each case when would the offset be applied? The next time you ran the Gcode program? Or the next time it calls the tool up? I guess this might depend on how far emc looks ahead to calculate its moves.

Also can you edit the tool table while emc is in the middle of running parts?

Tonight I will just run EMC in a simulation mode and see how it behaves.

Thanks for all the help.

More
16 Aug 2011 20:07 #12532 by andypugh
justin wrote:

It seems that the EMC style of offsets only uses what Fanuc calls Geometry and all changes must be made to this.

You could change it, if you wanted. How long that would take depends on your coding skills. :-)
The tool table has UVW offsets which could be used with small changes to the code. Not the ideal solution, but possible.

And in each case when would the offset be applied? The next time you ran the Gcode program? Or the next time it calls the tool up? I guess this might depend on how far emc looks ahead to calculate its moves.

Look-Ahead does not look past a tool change, but I am not sure that changes to the tool-table file are read in immediately or not. I am pretty sure that G10 offsets are immediate.

More
17 Aug 2011 11:58 #12543 by BigJohnT
justin wrote:

Say you a running 100 parts, and after 10 parts you measure the last one and notice that the bore size is .001 low, to fix this would you add this number to the value in your tool table or use the touch off function? And in each case when would the offset be applied? The next time you ran the Gcode program? Or the next time it calls the tool up? I guess this might depend on how far emc looks ahead to calculate its moves.

Also can you edit the tool table while emc is in the middle of running parts?

When you touch off the tool table is reloaded automagically by using G10L1, if you edit the tool table by any means you have to reload the tool table with File/Reload Tooltable. When you touch off X for example and you see your 0.001" undersize with a bore then you would subtract 0.001 from the DRO reading if your in diameter mode in the touch off window. So if the X axis DRO is 1.000 you enter 0.999 into the touch off for the tool table (bottom of the list when you have a tool loaded with TnM6G43) while making sure the X axis is the selected axis.

You can't edit the tool table from Axis while a program is running. I don't know what the result of editing the tool table with something like Gedit while a program is running but suspect nothing happens until the tool table is reloaded.

John

More
14 Sep 2012 17:48 #24269 by SRT
Replied by SRT on topic Wear Offsets
Is any work being done to include wear offsets or assignable offsets in Linux CNC. We finally made our first test cut on a Cincinnati Milacron Turning Center and I was actually surprised that there is no provision for small offset changes without changing the fixed or geometry offset. I believe in the machine tool world the ability to make small incremental changes to the x or z axis without changing the fixed offset is invaluable. I see that this thread is over a year old and maybe there is something else that I have missed looking for a way to add this feature.

Time to create page: 1.569 seconds