Joypad quits working at random?

More
18 Dec 2012 00:02 #27806 by photomankc
Hey guys,

I have version 2.5.1 and ever since moving to the 2.5 train I have had intermittent and unpredictable difficulty with the joypad going dead while the machine is in operation. It generally seems to happen to me when I put the controller down for a while and return. Sometimes when I do that I am no longer able to use the joypad. Looking at HAL it seems to have just decided the joypad doesn't exist any more. Restarting AXIS will get me the joypad back but that means rehoming the machine and I don't yet have home switches so that will guarantee inaccurate parts.

Is this something that anyone else has seen? It's really frustrating and it never happened in 2.4 but I had to upgrade to make certain parts of my control panel that depend on subroutines work correctly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2012 03:55 #27813 by BigJohnT
I use a joypad with 2.5 and have never had any issues with it.

I suspect a bad USB port or cable or plug. If I unplug my joypad the GUI still works but Input goes away.

John

More
18 Dec 2012 05:55 #27815 by Rick G
I am using 2.4 and 2.5 and have not had a problem.
I did have a usb memory stick that did that but it turned out to be a bad memory stick.
Don't forget if you are using the simple remote pendant the jogs only work in manual mode.

Rick G

More
18 Dec 2012 22:55 #27832 by photomankc
Well that's good and bad news. Good news is that it doesn't seem to be an systemic problem so it ought to work fine. Bad news is that I have no idea why it isn't working and so far logs have not shown much to go on. Yeah I do know that the jogs don't work in MDI so the joystick push-down switches to manual when I need to jog. Once this issue occurs the joypad is gone from HAL so nothing on it works at all but it's not gone from the PC. It's still present in the devices. Could be some brief connection issue though I guess where it gets unloaded from HAL but is there by the time I go look at the devices.

More
19 Dec 2012 01:56 #27843 by Rick G
Are you using an extension cable on the joypad?

It seems to me that one machine I worked on had a problem with a 6' extension, but it is now plugged into a usb hub that has a separate power supply and all is well.

Rick G

More
19 Dec 2012 09:30 #27852 by andypugh

Hey guys,

I have version 2.5.1 and ever since moving to the 2.5 train I have had intermittent and unpredictable difficulty with the joypad going dead while the machine is in operation. It generally seems to happen to me when I put the controller down for a while and return
Is this something that anyone else has seen? .

Yes, mine does it. It has done it in 2.3, 2.4 and now 2.5. I have always assumed it is a problem with my Joypad rather than LinuxCNC, as the "Mode" button with the LED also stops working at the same time.

I think plugging and unplugging helps sometimes but not always.

More
20 Dec 2012 12:57 - 20 Dec 2012 13:00 #27881 by JaysonWallis
I am having an issue with my touchscreen randomly quitting. I have been tearing out what is left of my hair trying to fix it but maybe it might not all be me.

A mate here has had issues with his Joypad stopping as well. We have swapped it with another recently but too soon to tell if was the hardware.

Jayson.

P.S. Is there a command I can have running in a terminal session that logs the status of the usb devices. I would like to see if all usb communication is lost and only some devices reconnect or if it is just isolated to certain devices.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 13:00 by JaysonWallis.

More
20 Dec 2012 19:12 #27893 by BigJohnT
You might check dmesg right after you notice that it is gone.

John

More
20 Dec 2012 21:36 #27899 by gmouer
Power control software in the bios, linux, and so on can power down devices after their non use for a peroid of time. Although power control schemes are normally inhibited in our installations, sometimes one can sneak by and cause some strange behavior in a realtime enviroment.

Myself and a friend had a lot of problems with this with the foxconn computers we got (atom processor) and had to add a disable toggle into a grub file for the advanced power control before the computer would run reliably. (were getting random hangs and such)

More
22 Dec 2012 10:13 #27947 by andypugh
My Joypad did this today. plugging and unplugging got the "mode" led working again, but LinuxCNC wasn't listening.

Sounds like a bug, but not a LinuxCNC bug.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds