Spindle Speed control issues with Super-PIDin 2.4

More
28 Dec 2012 05:37 #28111 by ameinert
Sorry. I didn't know that limit. That file is 2500 so that explains it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2012 06:56 #28112 by cncbasher
i can't see anything that would cause the problems you describe , excepting the RT errors ,
can you try another Motherboard or remove devices not needed and see if that improves ,

your files could be easily modified to suit 2.5.1 , i'd upgrade

More
31 Dec 2012 01:47 #28193 by ameinert
I upgraded to the latest Linuxcnc version this morning and it had no affect on the spindle or the latency issues. Before I upgraded, I talked to the guy I bough the drivers and pc from and they gave me direction in the stepconfig parameters. I adjusted them and they made no difference. I made sure that there is no additional hardware attached and that the bells are turned off and all that.

I did the SMI procedure shown on these pages because my log files were showing a message that indicated something about latency happening every 64 seconds. After I made the SMI change, that message quit appearing in the log files, but I still got the RTAPI errors.

I also tried using the isolcpus=1 process from David Kent (I think that was who). I have an Atom (quad core) processor so this was set to isolcpus=3 instead. The procedure seemed to work according to the instructions but It seems to have had no affect.

I have gotten in the habit of running the latency test quite often and yesterday when I ran it, I opened a large pdf file (O'reilly's Learning Python manual) and resized the window while it was opening. The Max jitter jumped to 840,000! It normally goes to anywhere form 14-40,000 so this really got my attention.

I think a real clue to understanding the issue with the spindle not starting is the difference between manual mode and MDI mode behavior. These are so different that there must be something in that to help me find the spindle root cause. I have literally gone back and forth hundreds of times testing this and there is absolutely a difference. Manual mode response is instant on or off. MDI mode sometimes "never" actually turns the spindle on.

I played a little bit with the HAL file lines entered for controlling the spindle. At first, it looked like they made a difference but it was just momentary. What it led me to is that the first time I enter the M3 in MDI, the spindle starts relatively quickly (acouple of second delay). As I do it over and over, the delay seems to get longer but I have not done any serious data logging about it or anything.

I have not tried to have the spindle signal bypass the Breakout board with a jumper. That will require some solder work in tight spaces and I have large clumsy shakey hands.

Andy

More
31 Dec 2012 02:14 #28196 by BigJohnT
Do you have the LinuxCNC Status window open when your testing your spindle? It might show something.

John

More
31 Dec 2012 02:51 #28198 by ameinert
I have not tried the Linuxcnc status window. I am totally new to this world and so I am not even sure what that is. I will look into it and post what I see.

BTW - my motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-D525TUD - 2 Atom processors, not a single quad core as I stated earlier.

More
31 Dec 2012 04:20 #28200 by ameinert

Do you have the LinuxCNC Status window open when your testing your spindle? It might show something.

John

Thanks a lot, BigJohnT! I turned on that status window and then ran my tests with manual and MDI mode. When I did so, I saw that manual set the speed to 1.0. Otherwise, it all looked the same as MDI. I went back and tried it in MDI using M3 s1 and it worked great. Repeated it several times successfully so I went ahead and added the line "m3 s1" into some programs and it worked great. I tried 3 programs that I had trouble with and they all worked. It means manually editing my Gcode or setting up a template or something, which is not preferred, but I can work with it.

Thanks for pointing out a useful tool!

Now if only I can figure out what to do with the insanely large latency.

Andy

More
03 Jan 2013 20:35 #28343 by andypugh

Repeated it several times successfully so I went ahead and added the line "m3 s1" into some programs and it worked great.

Ah! I guess someone ought to have thought to mention that M3 S0 (or M3 with S=0) does not turn on the motion.spindle.ia-on pin. (I can see an argument that it should...)

More
05 Jan 2013 07:47 #28389 by ameinert
Thanks anypugh, but I actually had figured that part out a little earlier. I just read the G code manual a little more. The confounding part was that M3 s5000 should turn it on but it does not do so consistently. I never thought to set S=1 since that's not actually a real speed my spindle will turn. Since my minimum speed is 5000, I would think s1 and s5000 should do the same thing or that s5000 would work and s1 would not, but I am obviously still missing some piece. I am running fine with S1 though.

Andy

More
05 Jan 2013 07:56 - 05 Jan 2013 07:57 #28390 by ameinert
I have also now eliminated my RTAPI errors. I just went into the BIOS at login and disabled hyperthreading. It took like 2 minutes. I am still running 2 CPU's but doing this killed the other 2 and the latency got much better. The speed is noticeably slower for opening pdf files and things, but this machine is a dedicated machine controller anyway so no big problem there. I ran 2 full programs and never saw an RTAPI error, so I think this issue is resolved for now. Surfing the email community history has made me aware of the MESA I/O cards, so now I may have to get one of those and a breakout board in their kit.

I hope everybody else is having as much fun with this stuff as I am.
Thanks, again for your help, folks.
Andy
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 07:57 by ameinert. Reason: forget to include the word "fun" in my sentence

More
05 Jan 2013 08:11 #28391 by BigJohnT
With a Mesa 5i25 and 7i76 (stepper driver) you don't need a breakout board. The 5i25 plugs into the PCI slot and the 7i76 plugs into the 5i25 then you wire your drives and I/O to the 7i67. You also need a 24vdc field power supply.

John

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds