Launcher for Sim axis

More
31 Dec 2012 21:03 - 31 Dec 2012 21:04 #28225 by grey1beard
Having taken about 5 hours to get a sim version of 2.6.0 installed on my 12.04 workhorse in the house (I run Linuxcnc 2.4 on 8.04 in the workshop), it would be nice to have a launcher on the Unity desktop.

At the moment I have to launch from a terminal - scripts/linuxcnc - and if I pin the icon that appears ( a grey question mark) in the launcher strip, it fails to work a second time.

I've explored various web pages, viz "switch to Gnome" or use Ubuntu Tweaks", but cannot find anything that works yet. No "Create Launcher" window appears via Tweaks, for example.

I assume that I need to create a small .png or .jpg file as a button top, and create a launcher file which ties it into the script that launches the program, but it's all a bit vague in my brain at the moent.

Has anyone gone this route, and will share their method, or point me to a brain-dead instruction page for a how-to ?

John
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 21:04 by grey1beard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2012 21:07 #28226 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Launcher for Sim axis
Right clicking on the desktop doesn't work any more to create a launcher?

John

More
31 Dec 2012 22:10 #28231 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Launcher for Sim axis
Seems to be about 5 different ways here

askubuntu.com/questions/67925/how-to-cre...op-shortcut-in-unity

More
01 Jan 2013 00:14 #28237 by grey1beard
Replied by grey1beard on topic Launcher for Sim axis
Hi John.
No, a right click gives scripts/create launcher but it doesn't launch the expected new window :(

Hi ArcEye,
Thanks. That's just what I needed. The first method did the trick, once I found out the correct info to put into the 'command' window.

So I'm up and running once again.(Well, shuffling might be nearer the truth ;) )

Happy New Year, everyone.
John aka grey1beard/Grandad/ Grumps

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds