FDM robot arm

More
16 Jan 2013 19:45 #28751 by petter0007
FDM robot arm was created by petter0007
Has anyone successfully controlled a robot-arm (6rotating axes).
I have an old robot-arm that i stumbled upon some time back. but it cant do G-Code as it is today.
I have to build logic from the servo-controllers and up (+-10v with feedback). Has anyone done it before?
I use Sprutcam for generating Gcode and the new version can produce GCode for robotarms (but i currently has the old one so i haven't any examplecode)

This guy made a FDM printer of a simular arm,
www.3d-printers.com.au/2010/12/07/seriou...rinter-makes-chairs/
I want to do mostly the same but i want to be able to have control over the hardware since i plan to experiment with it a lot (different materials and so on)

So my two questions are basically.
Can LinuxCNC control a robotarm?
Has anyone used LinuxCNC for FDM?

Regards
Hans Petter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2013 20:01 #28752 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic FDM robot arm
While I have not build a robot seem there are several examples of LinuxCNC controlled robots on the wiki.

John

More
16 Jan 2013 21:19 #28753 by petter0007
Replied by petter0007 on topic FDM robot arm
Yes, there are quite a few robot examples there but only one arm

mostly there are examples of linear moving robots, but an arm is made up entirely by rotating axes (6axes).
anyone made a foam-mill or anything similar of an robot arm running LinuxCNC?

While most 3 4 or 5axes milling machines are quite expensive, you can pick up a used arm for a couple of hundred dollars here in Norway.
I guess most people are running into problems programming them, since the programming of an old arm is next to impossible without original software. Mine is from 1998 and the control software shows it:-), but if i can get it to swallow Gcode, it's a whole different game.

I hope to build a flexible foam-mill or a FDM machine from my robotarm, and I'm willing to wait for an open sorce engine like LinuxCNC to be able to handle it. I did a plunge research on google last year also, searching for someone who has done it successfully, but came out empty handed.
The only one i found that could make it run G-code was costing about 50000USD, and was an extension from Mastecam.

From before i did a rebuild of an old Deckel FP5NC from 1984 as a learning exercise.
I basically put in a new computer feeding it with a constant stream of G-codes.
Now it does amazing work. it has the accuracy og 0.003mm and is fast enugh for me.
It was also in the category of old rubbish hardware since no one could handle the old Fortran software.
After building a bridge from the old Fortran software to Inventor 3DCad it's as good as new and i can mill everything from abs to Titanium with it.
Once a machine can execute Gcode over network at an acceptable speed and accuracy it resurrect with all its glory.
German accuracy from 80 and 90 is hard to beat. Machines those days had a totally differend build budget.
The deckel was bought for 1 mill dollars in 1984, with quick inflation calculation would make a budget of 2.2millionUSD
Now that i have control over it i can change the part's to none original parts, making it easy to repair as well.
it's just a shame that it's not in real use, instead it's in my garage doing work once or twice a year .

I hope to accommodate it with a robot arm soon, but i need to find a way to make it eat G-Code.

More
19 Jan 2013 00:33 - 19 Jan 2013 03:07 #28804 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic FDM robot arm
refitting a robot arm with linuxcnc is not difficult , especialy if your going to replace the controller and perhaps keep the servo drives , using a mesa interface or two
this would be mostly painless , Linuxcnc can support up to 9 axes ( joints ) abc uvw xyz , then include io port pins for encoder feedback and switches etc

all that's required has been done , depending on what you want to deposit , that may need some work or experimentation , let me know more and I may have solutions .

see the scara & pumakins kinematics sources of linuxcnc would be a reasonable start point .
do you have a robot arm ? ,

i'd love to find a robot arm near me in the UK !
Last edit: 19 Jan 2013 03:07 by cncbasher.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:55 #28963 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic FDM robot arm

mostly there are examples of linear moving robots, but an arm is made up entirely by rotating axes (6axes).
anyone made a foam-mill or anything similar of an robot arm running LinuxCNC?.

There have been many examples of serial robots controlled by LinuxCNC. If you have LinuxCNC installed then have a look in the example configurations, there is a Puma robot configuration there, with graphical preview etc. You can get a good feel for what it is like to control a robot arm with LinuxCNC.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:57 #28964 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic FDM robot arm

Has anyone successfully controlled a robot-arm (6rotating axes).

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%28......1ac.1.ss-Lxg5s_Nk

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds