Nema 23. Slow

More
22 Apr 2013 00:39 #32969 by MakingToothpicks
Replied by MakingToothpicks on topic Nema 23. Slow
The power supply came with the board and motors as a kit. It is not a PC PSU power supply.
I will get a link for the set I have checked the link and it is a 200W power supply. Let us
say I need to replace the PS and driver board. I have 2 things I am going to throw away.
Money is an object as I am on SS and don't have much to spend on a hobby. I not having
any knowledge thought I was getting a fair deal in a package. What would be a good power supply
at a good price. Any links would help. What would replace or could replace the stepper
board at a low price.

Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2013 00:49 - 22 Apr 2013 00:51 #32970 by MakingToothpicks
I found this on Amazon I can have it in about 3 days.
Features?
1.Universal AC input / full range
2.Full load burn-in test
3.Cooling by free air convection
4.It's good quality and high performance
5.Great switching power supply for home appliances

Specifications:
1.Input: AC110-240V 50/60Hz
2.Output: DC 24V 15A
3.Power: 360W
4.Protections: overload / over voltage / short circuit
5.Material?<SPAN lang="en" id="result_box">Metal</SPAN>
6.Color: Silver
7.Dimension: (122 x 216 x 49)mm / (4.80 x 8.50 x 1.92)inch?L x W x H?

Or should I get a 34V I am only running a 3 axis table. Y will have 2 motors.
So I only need a 3 axis Board. Any thoughts
Last edit: 22 Apr 2013 00:51 by MakingToothpicks.

More
22 Apr 2013 01:38 #32972 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Nema 23. Slow

The power supply came with the board and motors as a kit. It is not a PC PSU power supply.
I will get a link for the set I have checked the link and it is a 200W power supply. Let us
say I need to replace the PS and driver board. I have 2 things I am going to throw away.
Money is an object as I am on SS and don't have much to spend on a hobby. I not having
any knowledge thought I was getting a fair deal in a package. What would be a good power supply
at a good price. Any links would help. What would replace or could replace the stepper
board at a low price.

Thank You

Just a thought but if I was in your shoes and money was an object I'd forage on with what I had and make it work even though it is slow. After you get done building your machine and have everything worked out then look into improving it.

Just my 2 cents
John

More
22 Apr 2013 03:58 #32974 by MakingToothpicks
I am going to do that. The motors can lift the Z-axis with the router. It is 10lbs.
All I need right now is to figure out what is stopping the Z-Axis period. X and Y
both work. I will get you a list of the pins I am using on X and Y. I will also post
my Ini and Hal if that will help with this last hurdle.

Again you people are the best. This is a great community you have here.

Thank You

PS: So not to confuse I tested the Z axis lifting ability using the Y axis connection.

More
22 Apr 2013 16:56 #32985 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Nema 23. Slow
Just a reminder, do not plug or unplug connections on the driver with power supplied.
If you are going to use 2 motors on Y You should be looking at 4 axis driver X ,Y,Y,Z.
An easy way to see if an axis driver has power applied to it is to see if the motor can be turned by hand with the power supplied.
If the amp is enabled it should be much harder to turn the shaft with power applied then with power off.
You might want to also take a look at the other threads on similar boards on this forum

Rick G

More
22 Apr 2013 21:39 #33003 by MakingToothpicks
I will be quit for a couple of days. Waiting for some parts and working on the 2
lead screws for the Y axis. Making sure there is no bind do to mis-alignment.

About the disconnecting the motors while powered up. I read about that
quite awhile earlier so I always power down when switching leads. Thank
you for the reminder.

My board is a 4 axis board so I guess I will use the unused A turning
one as a second Y axis. I have seen post about setting this up but need
to find them again.

Here in the zip attachment are my Hal and Ini files. If you get a chance to
look at them
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2013 21:51 #33004 by MakingToothpicks
One last item. My power supply is 24V 8.30A on the Probotix site this kit
is offered for sale( the motors are 280oz mine are 270oz)

3x ProboStep Uni-polar Stepper Motor Chopper Driver
3x HT23-280-8 Stepper Motor
24Volt 6.5Amp Switching Power Supply

I do not see the watts of this power supply. Is it more then mine. ?

More
23 Apr 2013 01:55 #33017 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic Nema 23. Slow
Power (watt) = Voltage (volt) * Current (ampere). So yours is 24 V * 8.3 A = 199 W, and the Probotix one is 24 V * 6.5 A = 156 W.

The amount of current that can be "pushed" through a motor determines its torque ("strength"). The higher the voltage, the more current can be pushed into the motor at a specific speed (and the stronger the motor will be at that speed). Due to the "laws of physics", less current can be pushed through the motor as speed increases.

In short: a higher voltage lets you run the same machine at a higher speed, but you also need to have enough current available to be able to "use" the voltage. If you are happy with the strength of the machine at low speeds today, and just want it to go faster, you need a higher voltage at (at least) the same current.

Of course, make sure the machine does not bind, and that all connections are correct, before buying something new.

More
23 Apr 2013 03:51 - 23 Apr 2013 03:51 #33024 by jaredts
Replied by jaredts on topic Nema 23. Slow
Did you say that you were programming your machine to go 5", and it actually moves 10"? If so you are actually getting twice the feedrate that you are reporting. I think you said that your microstepping in stepconfig was at 4, but I would check that as I don't think that is an option on the board you are using (start with 1/2 step until you get everything worked out and then experiment with more microstepping if you want). Are your motors 4 wire or 6 wire? If they are 6 then wire them half coil for best speed. What max. current setting are you using on your driver board?
Last edit: 23 Apr 2013 03:51 by jaredts.

More
23 Apr 2013 17:19 #33049 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Nema 23. Slow

My board is a 4 axis board so I guess I will use the unused A turning
one as a second Y axis. I have seen post about setting this up but need
to find them again.

Unless you plan on using separate homing switches on both Y axis and homing them separately, that will be as simple as connecting the y signal to both Y axis drives in your hal file.
If you want to add that feature you can look at Gantrykins linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/gantrykins.9.html

When you get your hardware sorted out we can help you set that up.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds