new and dont know where to start

More
30 Sep 2013 04:54 #39370 by thor44
hello everyone

I am new to Linux and new to cnc, but I am super excited and looking forward to learning a lot and having a lot of fun. I don't have a cnc machine yet so I thought I would start learning the software side so that when I have the machine ready I will be to do something with it. My first question is now that I have Linuxcnc installed what do I do first? I have figured out a few things by playing around with it, but it would be nice to have some direction in how to get started. I hope to hear from someone soon and appreciate your time.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 05:35 #39371 by cmorley
Well there is the manuals to read.
There are sample config to try. start linuxcnc and try configs in the sim/ folder.

Welcome to linuxcnc.
When looking for help (which you will probably need) it always helps to be as specific and give as much info as you can.
linuxcnc comes in many different versions each fixing bugs and giving new features.
Eg the live cd puts version 2.5.something on and if you connect to the internet you can and probably should update to 2.5.3
linuxcnc tells you what version you using when you start it.
posting errors messages some where and adding a link here helps to find problems. ( if the eroor is short you can post it directly )
usually the INI and HAL files are the ones we will ask for.

If you are going to use a parallel port based machine look at stepconf if using a mesa card based machine you can look at pncconf.

Chris M

More
30 Sep 2013 08:50 #39376 by thor44
thanks for the advice. I have no idea what a mesa card is but I plan on using a parallel port any way. So once I set op the stepconf is it ready to go? I hope so that wasn't to hard to figure out. how do I import g codes or should I be asking can I import g codes from some where? I know lots of questions please be pationed with me.

Thanks
Orson

More
30 Sep 2013 18:55 #39387 by andypugh

My first question is now that I have Linuxcnc installed what do I do first?

There are some simulator configurations that also include a visual simulation of the machine. (Vismach)

In the configuration picker, look in the vismach folder, and also at the puma and scara robost, 5-axis gantry and hbm configs.

Some of the more complicated configurations are demonstrations of complex kinematics. If you see 0,1,2,3 instead of XYZ on the screen then the machine is in "joint mode" and you need to home the machine then switch to "world mode" to be able to move in XYZ space. (In the "View Menu" I think.

One quirk of Vismach that it took me a while to figure out. You can rotate the view by holding down the "shift" key on the keyboard then dragging the machine model.

More
04 Oct 2013 20:57 #39546 by thor44
Thanks to everyone for the info I will be honest if I may it was all overwelming and I don't know what to do with it all, I was hoping it wouldn't be this hard to figure out.

More
04 Oct 2013 21:03 #39548 by andypugh

Thanks to everyone for the info I will be honest if I may it was all overwelming and I don't know what to do with it all, I was hoping it wouldn't be this hard to figure out.

What were you hoping to do?
There isn't very much that you can really expect a machine controller to do without a machine to control.
However, as I said, there are some sample configurations supplied that have a visual representation on-screen of a virtual machine.

More
07 Nov 2013 10:34 #40619 by jimmy111
Its not that hard. Just start with something small and do it little by little.

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds