Engraver Front panel switches

More
14 Dec 2013 01:09 #41590 by vikingsraven
Hi all, first attempt with linuxcnc, been meaning to set it up for a while now on my gravograph vx86 unit, now finally have some free time to have a play.
Pinout of units and some spec
Tomorrow im physically going to get it all connected up and start running , just have a quick question.
the unit have a front panel with various function switches, this is a row grid set up , jog left, jog forward stop etc. Is there anyway i can map these in as controls for the unit. ive had a quick search and cant seem to find anything.
ive setup the stepper config with what info i have but the pins for some of the row or column i/o arent on there.
Am i looking in the wrong place? :blush: (probably as a noob!)

just like to say thanks for this program and the hard effort that has gone into it.
mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2013 06:13 #41596 by newbynobi
You can do that with halui pins and hal connections. Just read the integrators manual.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vikingsraven

More
14 Dec 2013 07:30 #41597 by BigJohnT
Yes, first you need to bring the inputs into the PC or I/O card. Then you connect the inputs to HAL. Sounds simple but it can be overwhelming at first. So best to take one function at a time and connect it up.

Read the Basic HAL Tutorial a couple of times.

You have used the Stepconf Wizard so make sure you have Halui included by adding it to your ini file.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_co...id_sub_hal_section_a

Next go to the Halui man page and look at the pins that Halui creates.

For example you could connect a physical button to the halui.jog.N.minus bit in which is a pin for jogging axis N in negative direction at the halui.jog-speed velocity. The sudo pin my-input-pin would be whatever pin you connected your physical button to. It might be a parallel port pin or a PCI card I/O pin.
net jog-x-minus halui.jog.0.minus my-input-pin

JT

More
14 Dec 2013 21:25 #41606 by vikingsraven
Wow thanks for the fast response guys, ill look into that, have tried to avoid coding for the last 30 years but in the last three weeks ive done more than i care to think about.
Thanks again
:laugh:

More
15 Dec 2013 03:03 #41607 by andypugh

the unit have a front panel with various function switches, this is a row grid set up , jog left, jog forward stop etc

If you are saying that the switches are wired as a matrix, then you will probably need:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/matrix_kb.9.html

Which unfortunately is only available by default in the development release.
It shouldn't be too hard to install it into the standard release, though, if you need it.

More
17 Dec 2013 04:41 #41652 by vikingsraven
ok ill leave that for a bit.
to much to take in just yet! thanks

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds