Robot arm and XYZ movement

More
04 Feb 2014 00:29 #43500 by petter0007
Some while ago i stumbled upon a roboticarm (6axis), the prize was too good to let go of, so i ended up with it filling spce in my basement.
I hope i can make it run some kind of G-Code.
I found after some minor googling that EMC2 could do this, since then you have gone from EMC name to Linuxcnc and a couple of years has passed.

I'm doing some camwork on my old deckel(FP5NC) but mainy do 3Dprinter's, and it's regarding my 3Dprinting the need for a really big machine is emerging.
And my robotarm is exactly what i need.
It has 3.6 meter Spheric workaeria. But in order to make a 3Dprinter out of my robotarm i need to make it do streight lines in XYZ (G1-G3 mainly) basically run all the codes a XYZ machine do so great:)

I have absolutely no experience with rotating axes, will LinuxCNC translate and make my robotarm do G1 codes or does it need rotating codes to operate.
Anyone with any experience on this out there that could shine some light on capabilities of Linuxcnc and robotarm?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2014 00:38 #43501 by cncbasher
you would need to load a robot arm configuration , so to start with look at the example configs in /sim/axis/vismach/puma or scara

if this machine is servo driven rather than steppers
you would also need to use a servo interface , so i'd suggest the 5i25 with the 7i77 and additional interfaces .

you'd need to strip the electronics , so without knowing more it's difficult to advise ,
keep the existing servo amps and encoders and link these into Linuxcnc , hows your electronics skills ?

post a photo of the machine , and any information as to the electronics fitted , servo's encoders , and if you have the manuals etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: petter0007

More
04 Feb 2014 04:33 #43518 by petter0007
Thank's for the input.
It is a 600V servo system with a +-10V signal(not PWM), but if i'm remembering correct it was mounted on a backbone of a bus of some kind.
I will look into the documentation tomorrow.

I have been googling for model and make,But i cant remember the make.
The manufacturer was german i belive and it was a three letter company (not kuka). it was built in the middle of the 80's somewhere and it has a fairly good repeatability of 0,1mm (for my use anyway). The letters that come to mind is KEF but nothing shows on google so i guess i remember wrong.

Last time i looked into it, i got the manuals for the servodrives from the makers (Hardware drawing's and everything), but as usual time is a problem, so it was put aside for other projects.

For electronic skill's. well i'm really a Chemist, but i have made quite a bit of electronic's over time.
Most educated designers mopes at my work, since i break all the rules there is fo good design.
That said it mostly it works, and does for many years. I also do my own programming but keep to atmel family of microcontrollers to make it easy for me.
Meaning that i prabably can read a drawing, program or flash most devices. and have a fairly good general understanding of thing's:)

Does linuxcnc support any bus systems out of the box?
By robot arm configuration do you mean postprocessor, or is this on a lower level?
(I did my own postprocessor to connect to the old Dialog4 on the Deckel FP5NC to sprutcam, and i used a lot of time with to get it right).

More
04 Feb 2014 20:00 #43534 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Robot arm and XYZ movement

By robot arm configuration do you mean postprocessor, or is this on a lower level?

It is done with special kinematics to convert XYZ G-code into rotary joint positions.

LinuxCNC comes with some sample configurations that have an on-screen 3D model of the robot arm, so you can get a feel for how it works without having to get the real hardware working.

Install LinuxCNC (possibly on a Virtual Machine for the trial) and run the /sim/axis/vismach/puma configuration.

It will start up in "joint" mode where you can jog each joint separately. If you home it and switch to "World" mode you will see that it then switches to moving in XYZ space, automatically calculating all the joint positions.

More
04 Feb 2014 22:14 #43540 by petter0007
I found the make and model, It's a SEF SR25,
it can carry 25kg load, and i believe that it's an interbus system on the servos today.
www.sef.de/wordpress_/wp-content/uploads...3/06/SR-25_DE+EN.pdf

The axis also have an oldstyle +-10V individual signal that can control them,
But the powersupply is located with the servocontrollers in a module like fasion and probably do some communicating before turning on,
I guess i can configure it to run on +-10V instead of interbus, if i can make the power turn on.

I haven't found the documentation on the controller yet, but i suspect that the +-10V route is easiest,
I googled a but but found warnings of using interbus with CNCLinux. and the 5i25 with the 7i77 looks tempting.
I suspect that the 6I25 is the same card only with a PCIE bus, is it treated by the software in the same manner?

More
04 Feb 2014 22:26 #43541 by andypugh

I suspect that the 6I25 is the same card only with a PCIE bus, is it treated by the software in the same manner?

It is treated so similarly that the pin names in HAL actually say "5i25" and it uses 5i25 firmware files.

More
05 Feb 2014 16:14 #43572 by petter0007
I think i will go for the 6I25 and 7i77 route:)

But when it calculates the XYZ movement, is CPU demanding or is it a fairly easy task?

The reason for asking is basically should i aim for a fully blown computer with a lot of power,
or can i getaway with a small computer i can fit inside the base of the arm like a backbone?
Will CPU power alter the quality of movement at all?

Any experience or suggestions?

More
05 Feb 2014 20:41 #43580 by andypugh

The reason for asking is basically should i aim for a fully blown computer with a lot of power,
or can i getaway with a small computer i can fit inside the base of the arm like a backbone?

If you are using a 6i25 then you need PCI-e which limits the form factors you can use. No chance of using a Beagle-bone or RasPi there.

Lots of us are using Mini-ITX boards withouty to much trouble. The kinematics adds some CPU load, but not enough to really worry about on a generic x86 PC.

One of these might be convenient (12V DC power input). if it has the same video driver as the Intel version of the same board then some fiddling with Xorg.conf might be needed.
www.mini-itx.com/store/~DN2800MT
I use one (with an 8GB SATA DOM) as my primary LinuxCNC development platform.

A right-angle PCI connector will help to keep things small.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds