HalfTone not working ?

More
15 Feb 2014 07:38 - 15 Feb 2014 07:39 #43871 by Parksie
Hi,

I am using DXF halftone 2.1 to generate .tap files, which I then open with LinuxCNC and attempt create. However I can't get the Z axis right.

If I home my Z axis on top of the material to 0.0 it starts cutting to deep, or if I set my Z axis to 5 above top of material the v-bit doesn't touch the material at all. I have also tried various other option with touch-ff, but nothing seems to work.

Is someone able to look at the G-CODE that is attached and tell me how I should be setting my CNC machine up and what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. I have gone through too much wood to keep trying this and need some help.

Here is a link to get an idea of what I am trying to create.

hackedgadgets.com/2011/07/28/cnc-halftone-pictures/

File Attachment:

File Name: andy40th.txt
File Size:266 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2014 07:39 by Parksie. Reason: addin link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2014 16:20 - 15 Feb 2014 16:23 #43875 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic HalfTone not working ?
make sure that your z axis touch off is set to top of the material as 0.0 , and that negative moves move down and positive up
also make sure your tool table has no z value compensations etc or values it should not have

the gcode file you posted has a z value of 5.0 which is the start point of being clear of the work surface by 5mm
the depth of the first cut is shown as z-0.298...etc

G0 Z5.00000000
G1 Z-0.298990875 F500

you mention cutting too deep , by how much and what type of v cutter are you using ?

i notice that the gcode produces very little in preparation preamble , and that G21 ( metric ) is not shown
i'd add G21 to the top section of the gcode , to force to metric values

i'd guess the problem is that at the moment the code does not know if it's using Imperial or metric units and is becoming confused , so adding G21 should solve or give you a better idea

i dont use dxf halftone , so if you have any probs further get back and i'll take a look and dig further
Last edit: 15 Feb 2014 16:23 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksie

More
15 Feb 2014 16:42 #43877 by Parksie
Replied by Parksie on topic HalfTone not working ?
Thanks for taking time to respond. I had a quick look at the tool table and there are a few tools there, but when the gcode runs it does say, "No Tool Selected"

I will give it a try with the G21 so force metric and let you know how I go.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds