Back to basics!

More
24 Mar 2014 22:33 #45187 by AMelvin
Back to basics! was created by AMelvin
Just a reminder to all whom have spent considerable time researching and struggling with issues to get things working.
Start at the beginning! Carefully check all items! Spent two weekends trying every way I could imagine to get system working. Reading and digging forums,
wiring and rewiring, testing with meters for power, working software settings, and so on. Finally my son Daniel (9 years old by the way) says "maybe the computer is not right".
A quick dig into the bios of the Intel Atom computer and we find the parallel is disabled. Start at the beginning!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2014 00:07 #45188 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Back to basics!
Yeah, how did we manage to have fun before computers came along :laugh:

If you have the board with a header instead of a violet D25 socket, just be aware that it will be a 26 pin header.

So you have 1 extra pin and which pin is pin 1 becomes very important!
There is a thread on here somewhere in which a user had endless fun testing the wrong pins because of that

regards

More
25 Mar 2014 01:10 #45189 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Back to basics!
Welcome in the club!
I spend ours testing for a hardware bug and finaly find out I looked at the wrong file ;-)

More
25 Mar 2014 07:51 #45211 by danimal300
Replied by danimal300 on topic Back to basics!
Yup, I just had the fun couple weeks reading and researching every possible thread I could find about parallel port configurations only to find out that I had needlessly updated a driver for a graphics card that was causing LinuxCNC to crash. I bet I spent 40+ hours troubleshooting. I only had the graphics card in the machine because I was one DVI cable short to run my monitor, so I threw in an old graphics card to use a HDMI cable and the driver for that card apparently sabotaged everything.

More
25 Mar 2014 13:39 #45220 by AMelvin
Replied by AMelvin on topic Back to basics!
My first CNC hot wire foam cutter was from scratch with Allegro chips and Turbocnc software.Lots of trips to the electronic surplus store, Autocad circuit boards, guitar strings from Walmart, old 386 computer.
Still only took three weeks of evenings to complete because it was from scratch. Learning curves are steepper every year!

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds