Swapping Axis Direction

More
16 Aug 2014 01:12 #49897 by GaryLa
I wish to swap the direction of an axis. I am using a stepper configuration.

So far, my searches have yielded the suggestion to change the standard_pinout.hal file. My concern is with the pin "descriptions".

Does inverting it change the how the hardware is driven (open-collector, tri-state, whatever) or simply change the software's writing of it for directional purposes?

I tried using both positive and negative values for INPUT_SCALE as loosely suggested elsewhere but that made no difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2014 01:38 #49899 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Swapping Axis Direction
changing the sign of OUTPUT_SCALE should do what you want

If its a parallel port system you can also change the polarity of the direction output
(with the appropiate out-invert parameter)

More
16 Aug 2014 02:20 #49901 by GaryLa
Replied by GaryLa on topic Swapping Axis Direction
Thanks for the response. It is a parallel port system: Sherline.

I have not found the appropriate syntax to invert this signal. I don't want to change the way the hardware is driven. I haven't yet found the way to simply invert the software's view of the signal.

I don't have an OUTPUT_SCALE parameter in this INI file. Its basis is the Sherline INI. It's horribly wrong, I know, but I'm trying to go slowly and not change too many things at once.

Originally, it had "SCALE = 16000". But EMC2 didn't like that and reported an error. I changed that to INPUT_SCALE = 16000.

More
16 Aug 2014 02:58 #49903 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Swapping Axis Direction
setp parport.0.pin-<yourpin#here>-out-invert true

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/hal_parallel_port.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: GaryLa

More
16 Aug 2014 03:05 #49905 by GaryLa
Replied by GaryLa on topic Swapping Axis Direction
Thanks again. I knew that it was going to be something like that, I have just been trying to figure out where it goes.

I'm just now getting my head around these files. I wanted to be sure it got placed in an area where it wouldn't get overidden by a subsequent statement.

Maybe that's not even possible?

More
19 Aug 2014 04:37 #50023 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Swapping Axis Direction

Thanks again. I knew that it was going to be something like that, I have just been trying to figure out where it goes.

I'm just now getting my head around these files. I wanted to be sure it got placed in an area where it wouldn't get overidden by a subsequent statement.

Maybe that's not even possible?

If you try and set the same pin twice LinuxCNC complains loudly and refuses to run.

JT

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds