Setting correct spindle speed with encoder in hal

More
24 Mar 2015 05:43 #57132 by Clive S
I am slowly getting there with my encoder setup but I need to know the correct way to calibrate the spindle on the lathe.

The spindle appears to be running a bit fast on the display (axis).

I am using a 64 slot disc with index + A and B.

Attached is my hal file I am not sure what to change in it to get the speed displaying correct.

Thanks Clive

File Attachment:

File Name: Myford_Lat...3-23.hal
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2015 07:36 #57135 by andypugh

I am not sure what to change in it to get the speed displaying correct.

This- setp encoder.0.position-scale 256.000000

But for 64 slots that sounds right. What makes you think it is wrong?

I guess that the lowpass and abs are hooked up in the Postgui HAL for for a PyVCP panel?

More
24 Mar 2015 16:14 #57140 by Clive S
Andy thank for the reply.

I don't understand where the scale of 256 comes from. From what I have read and looked at in other hal files the scale seems to be set at the number of stots ie in my case 64

Would you mind expanding on how this number is attained?

Yes there is stuff in the Postgui HAL I think lowpass is 0.001

Clive

More
24 Mar 2015 17:07 #57141 by andypugh

I don't understand where the scale of 256 comes from. From what I have read and looked at in other hal files the scale seems to be set at the number of stots ie in my case 64

A quadrature encoder sees 4 events per slot (two edges and two detectors) so typically the encoder "counts" are 4x the number of physical slots.
It is possible to turn this behaviour off by setting the encoder module to "counter mode" but if you are using AB quadrature then the scale will be 4 x the slots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
24 Mar 2015 18:28 - 24 Mar 2015 18:29 #57142 by Clive S
Andy

That explains a lot to me it's obvious when you know how :blush: Thanks

I have tested the chuck speed with an old mechanical counter and it read about 245 rpm but the display (axis) reads about 255-260 (it seems to hunt a bit)

I will check it again with a digital tach and see if the reading is the same as the mechanical one.

My disk is being driven with a toothed belt with 1:1 pulley from the spindle shaft.

Clive
Last edit: 24 Mar 2015 18:29 by Clive S.

More
24 Mar 2015 19:29 #57144 by andypugh

I have tested the chuck speed with an old mechanical counter and it read about 245 rpm but the display (axis) reads about 255-260

I would actually trust LinuxCNC more than the mechanical Tacho if they are that close to agreement.
LinuxCNC is only likely to be wrong by factors of 2, 10 or 60. The mechanical tacho can easily be out by a few %

More
24 Mar 2015 19:47 #57145 by Clive S

I have tested the chuck speed with an old mechanical counter and it read about 245 rpm but the display (axis) reads about 255-260

I would actually trust LinuxCNC more than the mechanical Tacho if they are that close to agreement.
LinuxCNC is only likely to be wrong by factors of 2, 10 or 60. The mechanical tacho can easily be out by a few %

That's a relief thanks. How would I get a steady reading in the display?

Clive

More
24 Mar 2015 20:58 #57147 by andypugh

How would I get a steady reading in the display?

You could try making the filter constant even longer, though your lowpass is already running a 1 second time constant so I would expect it to be fairly steady.
250 rpm is 4 revs per second, so I would rather expect any phase-error in the sensor disc to be lost in the 4 x averaging. I do sometimes wonder if the encoder velocity calcs are 100% correct in their use of timestamped edges.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds