Setting up a probe touch off

More
05 Apr 2015 14:36 #57544 by Clive S
Hi

First success :woohoo: I put in the white space before the = and the system erred mentioning a signal.

So I have put the two line of code back as in the ini attached and it works fine.

File Attachment:

File Name: my-mill_20...4-05.hal
File Size:4 KB

Thank you so much I am very grateful for the help you have given me on this.

I have also done my lathes conversion like the one at 7xcnc which I think is down to you. (the quadrature encoder stuff with 64 slots and Index A+B)

I am going to use the Gmocappy screen. But I needed to get this working with Axis as I am going to do it for two more people with mini mills.

You did ask me to test out the Macro on the Warco config but I did not get that to work. If you want me to do some tests with the Gmoccapy screen I would be more than willing to help. There is a thread on here about putting touch off stuff on to the Gmoccapy screen.

Thanks again for all your time. Clive
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2019 01:15 #145193 by stutaylo
I'm trying to set up my probe as above and am having some issues..

My setup is as follows:
LinuxCNC 2.7.1.14
G540 + Mesa 5i25
3 axis router, nema23 steppers, dual steppers on Y
Spindle + VFD
Touch plate
I have followed the above instructions from 7xCNC, and when I click the 'touch off' button I get the error 'EOF in file :/usr/share/axis/images/axis.ngc'

I can run a G38.2 z-20 f20 command and the machine starts a probing cycle, which completes when I close the probe circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have attached all relevant files. If you anything else incorrect in my config please let me know, I basically copied someone elses setup and changed what I needed to to make it work, I'm still learning

More
15 Sep 2019 21:29 #145294 by Todd Zuercher

I'm trying to set up my probe as above and am having some issues..

My setup is as follows:
LinuxCNC 2.7.1.14
G540 + Mesa 5i25
3 axis router, nema23 steppers, dual steppers on Y
Spindle + VFD
Touch plate
I have followed the above instructions from 7xCNC, and when I click the 'touch off' button I get the error 'EOF in file :/usr/share/axis/images/axis.ngc'

I can run a G38.2 z-20 f20 command and the machine starts a probing cycle, which completes when I close the probe circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have attached all relevant files. If you anything else incorrect in my config please let me know, I basically copied someone elses setup and changed what I needed to to make it work, I'm still learning

Did you edit any of the files on a Windows computer? You need to convert any MS end of line symbols to the Linux version. A good text editor such as Notepad++ (in Windows) can do the conversions easily.

More
16 Sep 2019 00:18 #145302 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Setting up a probe touch off
I occasionally have troubles with notepadd++ as well. I thin kmore with indents in Python code.
There is a Unix command called dos2unix which also does the trick
I may have installed it separately with apt-get

More
16 Sep 2019 01:38 #145306 by stutaylo
Thank you for the input, I opened all the files in notepad++ and couldn't see anything obvious.. Not sure exactly sure what I'm looking for though

If I created new Hal and ini files and retyped them completely (with no cut and paste) in gedit in Linux do you think that would solve the issue? Getting my CNC pc connected to the internet is a bit of a mission so want to avoid that if possible

More
16 Sep 2019 02:01 #145308 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Setting up a probe touch off
The problem is that in Windows each line terminates with a carriage return (CR) and line feed (LF) pair but Linux only uses a LF and the CR causes an error. Its not something you can see.

More
16 Sep 2019 02:56 - 16 Sep 2019 03:18 #145309 by Todd Zuercher
You can configure Notepad++ to show the (hidden) line ending characters, and there is a selection in one of the pull down menus to automatically convert the line endings. (Edit > EOL Conversion > UNIX Format)
Last edit: 16 Sep 2019 03:18 by Todd Zuercher.

More
16 Sep 2019 05:25 #145314 by stutaylo
OK, I have opened all files in notepad++ and confirmed they are Unix (LF) and not Windows (CR LF) it shows in the status bar but also in the EDIT > EOF CONVERSION menu the option to convert to LF is greyed out.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here, I will remove all changes and re-do the 7xCNC probing changes.

Are there any other simple ways to put in a touch plate probing cycle?
Attachments:

More
16 Sep 2019 13:35 #145322 by Todd Zuercher
In Notpad++ pressing ALT+End will show the end of line codes.

That said, I don't think the end of line codes matter in the G-code files and I don't think that is your problem here, I run g-code all the time that has MS line endings and Linuxcnc never complains. However the line endings do matter in any of the machine configuration files. (hal, ini, py, xml...)

What the problem may be is where you have your subroutine file saved. The file must be in the directory pointed to by PROGRAM_PREFIX or SUBROUTINE_PATH in the ini file.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/o-code.html#ocode:calling-files

Your ini file doesn't have a SUBROUTINE_PATH specified so the only suitable location would be /home/router/linuxcnc/gcode/. (Or you could add SUBROUTINE_PATH= the file's location.)

More
17 Sep 2019 21:12 #145444 by andypugh

I wonder if it is this problem?

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/559

It shouldn't be as I don't think you are calling a subroutine.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds